Sign in to follow this  
littleredrider

Learn something new everyday

littleredrider

Since my old computer died on me, I couldn't do any research on anything. So now that I finally got a new one, need to some checking on parts and interchange stuff. I picked the 854, haven't done a thing to it except change the rear tires, one was dryrotted completely and had a huge flat spot in it. (real fun to role)

Anyways, I thought round hoods were pretty much the same. Looking at the pics in the gallery, looked like Kohler's had the same hood, and Tecky's looked to be the same. Well, after using my 63 ranger with the snow blower on it, I sat on the 854 for the first time, and though to myself, this is bigger, but why?? The wheel base is the same, I have the same size tires on my ranger, gas tank is the same, hood stand I think, hmm.

Well after finding the parts manuals again, they are different between the years. Even the 702 has a different hood than the 854.

Are they longer?? What is the difference??

sscotsman

From what I have seen, all the Lawn Rangers, which are in the "Lawn tractor" category, have much smaller tires than the "non-lawn ranger" Garden Tractors..grabbed some photos from the Redsquare photo album:

1964 Lawn Ranger

1964%20Lawn%20Ranger%2034E.jpg

1964 854:

854.jpg

I believe the bodies are mostly the same..engines and tires are much different though.

The difference is size you are experiencing is probably due mostly to the tires..

Scot

Kelly

The 854 and 754 use a hood that is 1" longer than the other tractors that use that style hood, measure from the front seam back to where the tank is, you will see the differnce, not all kohler powered round hoods use the same hood, the 704 uses the long hood that the steering shaft goes throgh, and the tucky powered tractors the 653 uses the same hood as the kohlers, the hood stand is diff. for the 62 tractors with the alum gas tank than the 63/64 hood stands, front axles changed in 63, from 62, tool boxes are diff. from 62 to 63 the list goes on and on.

The reason for the long hood on the 854 was to clear the thick air filter used on the 8hp engine, a few more things that are diff gas tanks for the alum tank tractors, the 62 tractors are one piece tanks with a cast iron dash face, the 63/64 are a leaking two piece tank with the dash face part of the tank, 62-63 tractors the batt. box is welded to the frame, the 64 is a bolt on, 62 steering is completley diff. than the 63,64 and the 63 uses a diff. lower steering shaft and gears than the 64, but 63, 64 use the same front axle, and yes I left out the 701 (1961) because most of it if diff. than any other tractor, mosty a one year only tractor, then the long hood tractors that the steering shft goes through the hood that style tractor is diff also with diffences from year to year.

some day I need to set down and type up a list of all the diff. things from year to year on the round hoods.

littleredrider

My Webpage

I have the bigger tires on my 63, 23x10.5s and 4.80s up front.

Only 1" difference in hoods?? Wow, after sitting on the 854 looks to be more than that.

neil

great anaysis of thr difference in round hoods Kelly ,i never knew there was that much difference in the tractors.

you,re right you should get that written down and posted on the really useful section