Sign in to follow this  
Philipp

a little carburetor problem

Philipp

First problem I have is that I can't find the specification number of my Kohler. I know it has 124 in it, but the previous owner damaged the decals. It's anoying when you are searching for parts and you don't know it.

DSC02871.jpg

I bought on ebay a carburetor repair kit. I was looking to install it, but I have a few problems, I think.

The first one is easy to fix. Or maybe it doesn't have to be: The linking on the throttle lever got worn out. It has an enormous amount of play. Maybe this is the reason that when the ride gets bumby, the amount of throttle is changing?

th_MOV02879.jpg

DSC02872.jpg

On my non-Walbro carburetor the throttle-shaft has quite a lot of play, as you can see on following videos. You can move it sideways and upwards. Maybe the throttle shaft bushing (I'm looking at the parts list next to me) got worn out?

Another question I have: Why did Kohler installed Walbro's on their engines?

th_MOV02877.jpg

th_MOV02876.jpg

Are these parts still available somewhere? I can't find them...

WH Raider10

Hi Philipp,

Parts for Walbro carbs are still available,you can even buy the carbs brand new.

Check out the website of Tulsa Engine Warehouse. I got mine from there. Was around a 100 dollars. The carb comes with 2 gaskets and the throttle linkage you need.

The US government told Kohler and all other small engine manufacturers to redesign the carburetor that's used on their engines so they'll produce less air pollution. So they did away with the old style Kohler carburetor and started using the redesigned emissions-controlled Walbro carburetor.

Regards,

Pieter-Jan

Philipp

Thanks for your answers, Pieter-Jan. I didn't know/believed that the 'old' carburetors were so polluting. Looks like new plastic lawntractors or hybrid cars are environmental-friendly because they pollute less. (Though they break after two years and the production involves enormous environmental damage. Like those st*pid Prius..)

Still, thanks for mentioning the site. Looks like the k341 has three different carburetor models. I hoped finding the parts without having to buy a whole new carburetor, maybe I can have a throttleshaft and bushing made by someone here in the neighbourhood, I will ask him next week...

Best regards, Philipp

ps How's the 161-twin doing?

Jim_M

If you do end up buying a new carburetor find a good used Carter #30, it's a better running carburetor than the Walbro.

Anglo Traction

Hi Phillip, The play in your Throttle Shaft can be repaired. There is a small cheap Kit that includes a Bushing and Throttle Plate Screws. You can obtain these from Mowers4u. I get mine from there.

can whlvr

im in the same boat,i need to do all of my carbs,a 341 also,im going to get the 5 pack on ebay,or im going to check here first,or check the miller guy that specializes in kohler engines,someone here told me about them.

WH Raider10

Glad I could help you. I hope it will be a cheap fix for your carb. Mine for the 10 hp kohler was so f***ed up I ended up buying a new one. :thumbs::thumbs:

Believe it or not I still have to haul the c-161 twin. And that big day will be Saturday! :thumbs: Pics will follow of it Saturday when I'm back home with it. I hope she'll start up nicely after sleeping for 2 years.

regards,

Pieter-Jan