Sign in to follow this  
persof

Tobacco dust

persof

Is there any truth to the rumor that tobacco dust keeps bugs away from your vegitable garden? Stem borers took out my squash and Stink bugs did away with the rest.

Thanks

Francis

Jim_M

I know that tobacco dust repels fleas. My sister in Florida buys a big bag every year and spreads it on her yard with a broadcast spreader. Her dog hasn't had a single flea since she started using it.

WheelHorse_of_course

Keep it away from tomatoes, potatoes and other members of the nightshade family since the are susceptible to Tobacco Mosaic Virus.

I also find references to not using it (tobacco waste) as compost because it will kill beneficial insects.

It is supposed to be a good compost ingredient, having about 3 lbs of nitrogen, one lb of phosphorus, and about 5 lbs of potassium per hundred lbs of tobacco waste.

So, yes, it probably works, but use with care.

Horse-Drawn

When I was young (1970's), my dad always bought a cheap pack of cigs & soaked them in a gallon of water for a day or two. He'd spray all the veggies with the nasty smelly liquid. He said it kills most insects & caterpillars. This was the only "pesticide" he ever used. His veggies always came out really nice.

varosd

I have read about using it in the past...havent seen it any of the big box stores, do you think an ACE or True value would have some. I wonder if it would keep the ticks down?

yamahalic63

It's not so much the tobacco, it's the nicotine. Nicotine kills insects. Just don't use it around tomatoes or petunias due to Tobacco Mosaic.

specialwheelhorse

If I'm not wrong you used to be able to buy Nicotine Sulfate for that purpose until the EPA got involved

Very Harmful stuff. Just another good reason to quit smoking or dipping or whatever.

Not easy I KNOW ! !

Jim