Sign in to follow this  
strokersmoker06

PLEASE HELP IDENTIFICATION NEEDED!

strokersmoker06

Here is the links to the photos that I have taken. I can take more if needed just let me know guys. I need two front wheels, all four tires, and the idler pulley for the belt tensioner for the clutch. I also am trying to find a 4 horse kohler as that is what I think it is suppose to have, also, why are the decals on the side of my hood different than any of the photos I have seen, it is a two piece cast transmission and I know the hood is only suppose to have one hole in it.

http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff419/...orse%20Project/

stevebo

Welcome !! That is a 401 or 551. (1961 suburban). The 401 should have a 4hp Kohler K90 or K91 (either one-same motor) or a 5.5 hp Lausen which would have both electric and pull start. By the looks of the pictures I same 401.Find yourself a nice 4hp for it and you should be fine. Good luck-

TT

It's a 551. The 401 models have the three-piece Uni-Drive transaxle.

strokersmoker06

But the 551 had elec start and there is not battery box welded in it

TT

The battery sits long-ways on the frame in front of the engine. There is no actual "battery box"- just a place within the bolt-on strap steel hoodstand where it will fit.

551.jpg

VinsRJ

:thumbs:

Good luck on your resto! Remember :thumbs: of the process.

If your plan is to restore it back to original, locating a H55 Tech/Lauson (original motor) is going to be tuff. Like Steve said, a Kohler K91 will be much easier to locate and IMO is a much better motor.

strokersmoker06

But for sure the 401 did not have a two piece cast iron trans??? I am just wanting to find out FOR SURE, also the foot rests, are these anything that came on them originally? I am looking for front wheels, I hope someone can help me find the wheels and a good motor. I also am going to need both the throttle the choke cables, the plug and toggle switch that goes in the hood for the ignition, I don't have a belt covet or any of the original exhaust. Thanks a lot guys!!!

wallfish

The 401 had a 3 piece tranny "for sure". The foot rests you have are 1960, the 61s look like TT's pic.

HorseFixer

Heres another shot of two 551's one closest to the right and the one right behind it called A WH Panzer :thumbs:

Some people get aweful creative with a paint brush! <_< Kinda like they did on his hood.... :thumbs:

RoundHoods002.jpg

strokersmoker06

Can someone help me with the front wheels? I cannot find them anywhere!!

wheelly

Not sure where u are from but i have 5 K91 to choose from. I have had them running, just a carb full of fuel. northcentral Indiana. If interested use my email.

rlong7777@yahoo.com

strokersmoker06

I live in southern mi and I am very interested, please call me at 5178128028, I would appeciate it! But I am still looking for the front wheels! Does anybody have a coulple that are good?

smoreau

But for sure the 401 did not have a two piece cast iron trans??? I am just wanting to find out FOR SURE, also the foot rests, are these anything that came on them originally? I am looking for front wheels, I hope someone can help me find the wheels and a good motor. I also am going to need both the throttle the choke cables, the plug and toggle switch that goes in the hood for the ignition, I don't have a belt covet or any of the original exhaust. Thanks a lot guys!!!

The foot rests are off of a 1960 400 suburban :thumbs: :thumbs:

wheel horse man

i own a 551 and that is a 551 the foot pedals were only on the 61 models the 60 model had a dimond plate pateren and they were bent down on the back side and the 551 suburban had a 5.5 lauson engine witch your tractor has the orginal engine on it already so you dont need a k91 plus you would have to chage the hood stand if you want a k91 on it

strokersmoker06

Could someone please get me a couple pics of the clutch rod/brake and that spring that that is on the left side please, and also a close up of the belt and pullys for the drive and a close up of the brackets and belt covers for the drive would be greatley appreciated!

strokersmoker06

ANYBODY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

wallfish

This is the best I can do for now. Mine are still packed away for the winter. You can see the spring under the motor. The belt cover is just attached with 2 spacers of cut pipe about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch I believe.

You can see the pulley setup here

http://www.wheelhorse.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3751

nosFMstarter.jpg

401guard.jpg

strokersmoker06

Please Help! All I need to finish the tractor is the shifter boot, a decal kit "if available" and what does that spring hook onto besides the frame, one end onto the frame and the other end to what, the hole in that long rod that has a 90 degree bend on it that looks like it is suppose to have a cotter pin in it? Thanks guys!!!!!

mr.pipes

Check with Terry the vinyl guy. You can find his site in the vendors section. It is the second to last section on the bottom of the Redsquare home page.

wallfish

Hook the spring to that cotter pin which holds the rod on.

REDOYOURHORSE.com for the decals.

strokersmoker06

Thanks alot guys!! Where is the best place to get the shifter boot? Also What is the best color to paint the wheels and the motor, thanks alot again!

wallfish

Local Toro dealer should have the boot or you can order one from Partstree.com. Antique white for the wheels and seat, the motor originally came the same color red as the rest of the tractor, Of coarse it's your tractor so paint it what ever color appeals to you. Post some pics of your progress when you get the chance.

strokersmoker06

Thanks alot guys! Its almost done, everything is primered, waiting on decals from Terry and a shift boot, all we have left to do is paint it and put it all back together, also waiting on the new rear tires, will get pics up as soon as I get a chance!! :thumbs::wh::D :D