Sign in to follow this  
sgtsampay

Getting a new truck.

Nick

There are many options like the new 2wd v6 F150 that they say can get around 25 mpg but the Ranger might well be gone at the end of this year. It also doesn't look like Ford has any plan to replace it or even bring in the larger foreign market Ranger.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_ne...soon/index.html

can whlvr

for many years ive dreamed of the big three getting into really fuel efficiant trucks,like s10,ranger sized turbo deisels,that could get 30-40 miles a gallon,maybe someday

Sparky

for many years ive dreamed of the big three getting into really fuel efficiant trucks,like s10,ranger sized turbo deisels,that could get 30-40 miles a gallon,maybe someday

I think they allready offer them but only in Europe. Last year I was looking for an inexpensive 4 cylinder car to use as a work commuter as my new job puts about 80 miles a day (not highway) on whatever I drive. I ended up with a 2007 Dodge Caliber which get me 27-28mpg faithfully on each tank but before I bought it I discovered it was offered with a Mercedes diesel in Europe. Man that would of been sweet but it wasnt offered here. While I was digging for the 4 cylinder car info I discovered that most everything we are offered here in the states can be had with a diesel in Europe. There is even a (Mercedes)diesel PT Cruiser :thumbs: .

It must be the emmisions regulations here that prevent it :thumbs: . Crysler did manage to get a small 4 cylinder diesel in the Jeep Liberty and Cherokee and offered it here in the states, but not in any cars.

Mike...........

can whlvr

my friend has the jeep,its a total s--tbox,the motor is the only good part in it

truckin88

the words trucks and full savings don't go together. I get 14mpg on my 2010 Nissan Titan, I do about 80 miles a day, now my job is going to move me, where I will be at 100 or 110 miles a day. I am considering the route Stevebo went, or trade the titan in and get a CRV with a tow hitch. My wife has an 07 CRV and she gets an avg of 26mpg, it is the 4WD version too. BTW if it hits $4.00/gallon the economy is done....which is very very sad, seems like we have been through the crapper the past 3 years or so

Ken B

my friend has the jeep,its a total s--tbox,the motor is the only good part in it

I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It now has 155,000 miles on it and it has mostly been trouble free. The only problem I had was a goofy electrical problem where my turn signals and heater controls went batty for a few weeks. It took me awhile to find the problem but I did. I traced it down to some chaffed wires under the Jeep near the transmission shift linkage. She still looks and runs like new and I'll pass the 200k mark no problem.

sgtsampay

Hello all. After much thinking, I have came up with a decision.

I will be trading my truck in for a brand new but compact 2wd 4cly truck and have the warrenty with it and my paypents should be about $200ish compared to $340 with the old truck. Also, the one I'm looking at has a 7year/100yr Bumper to bumper extended for only $1,500 more that the base price of the truck. Also, the loan I should be able to get with a great interest rate and it will only be a 5yr loan, so that means I can hopefully have a couple years repair or paypent free. :thumbs:

thanks everyone for there help and I hope this is the right decision.

hm12460

Sounds like a reasonable plan Bobby. I have a pretty good job but I still believe there is no truck on this planet worth $340 a month. Gas is going up and I just don't see it being cheap again any time soon. If you live in town you'll be just fine in winter weather with a good set of regular snow tires. My F-150 was a pretty good truck but i'm glad i traded for my Ranger. What are you getting? Take good care of it, maintain it religiously and i'm sure a new one will serve you well.

sgtsampay

Thanks hm12460. I'm looking at a Suzuki equator. Looks like a nice little truck. :thumbs: Also, I have a set of old snow tires that should fit nicely on this truck, so thats a perk. :thumbs:

Yeah, lately I have been paying $340 a month for the truck plus, $60 in gas every week with a average of 12mpg and then repairs here and there. Not many at all but still an expense. Like this month was about $100 but that was the first time I did anything to it for a few months.. And then yesterday the stupid check engine light came on and i checked the code and its saying there is a short in my gas pump or intrament panel....

:thumbs::thumbs:

So, yeah i agree with you about this truck being kinda pricey..

Sparky

I think the Suzuki Equator and the Nissan Frontier are the same truck. Good luck with it and post a picture of it when you get it home.

Mike..........

PS...make sure it tie downs in the bed for :thumbs: hauling :thumbs: !

HorseFixer

Good-luck on your search :thumbs: I'm in the same boat but for different reasons, I Have a pal who just purchased a F-150 Lariate with 5.4 L and he says he gets 17 in town and 25 HWY. He's a retired friend of mine and real penny pincher and cks is mileage religiously. If you have a trailer I would Get a V-8 I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 and altho is a good engine its Gutless! <_

kodiak

ya i have a 93 dakota with a 3.9 and auto it gets 13 to 14 all the time. but i went up in tire size as well it was getting around 16 to 17

sgtsampay

OK all. I did finally get my new truck. I got it new and its a nice little Suzuki Equator 2011 with 28 miles on it. :thumbs: I hope it gives me a nice long service career. Thanks guys.

dgoyette

Congrats Bobby. Are you going to post a photo?

sgtsampay

Thanks sir! I will be tomorrow as it super dark out and tomorrow will be very pretty anyway. :thumbs: Now I will be waiting on my other thing I bought... HEHE.

mr.pipes

Congrats on the truck Bobby. I checked them out online and I was impressed. It's a lot nicer than I expected from a Suzuki truck. Does your other purchase start with D and rhyme with weasel?

sgtsampay

Congrats on the truck Bobby. I checked them out online and I was impressed. It's a lot nicer than I expected from a Suzuki truck. Does your other purchase start with D and rhyme with weasel?

Never sir. Never.... LOL. :thumbs:

pumper.atv

i have a 1991 Chevy C1500 2wd with the 6.2 diesel and i get about 23mpg :thumbs:

sgtsampay

Well guys here it is. Also, it does have tie downs for the bed. :thumbs:

Its has a 4cyl long stroke inline 4 that makes 151Hp and 171ftlbs.

100_0413.jpg

100_0414.jpg

100_0415.jpg

100_0416.jpg

100_0417.jpg

100_0418.jpg

Enjoy!

mavfreak

Hey thats pretty nice looking truck. And that 4 banger puts out about the same numbers as my 4.9L strait 6 in my ford!

mavfreak

except for MPGs thought. I get 13mpg I would guess your almost double that!

sgtsampay

Thanks Mavfreak! Yeah, but I bet your inline 6 does those rating at a much lower rpm range. Now for the MPG, I have no clue yet.

Here are your engine specs:

4.9L OHV Inline-6: 145 HP, 265 ft. lbs. Torque

Lots of torque. LOL.

zieg72

Nice, I guess I didn't know Suzuki had pickups...

mavfreak

Thanks Mavfreak! Yeah, but I bet your inline 6 does those rating at a much lower rpm range. Now for the MPG, I have no clue yet.

Here are your engine specs:

4.9L OHV Inline-6: 145 HP, 265 ft. lbs. Torque

Lots of torque. LOL.

I joke around and call it the gas powered Diesel! It builds and makes power very similar to a diesel. The in-line 6s from all the manufactures are like this, lots of pulling power!

dgoyette

Nice truck Bobby. Not bad numbers for a 4 banger either. Looks like a 5 speed manual which is cool. I prefer over automatics.