Sign in to follow this  
neil

need k91 engine advice

neil

Need some advice on my k91 engine

The engine has the tapered type crank shaft without the keyway slot, i was wondering if i would still be able to use this engine for my 400 suburban would i have to buy a different type pulley to put on engine to be able to use it

thanx for help

sorekiwi

I dont know too much about it Neil, I've never owned a K91 with a tapered shaft, and I've never owned a Suburban either!!

You could have a pulley machined with a taper to match the taper on the crankshaft. A good match between the tapers will not need a key to transmit the drive, it will grip much more securely on the taper than a key could ever do. The reason they put a key on flywheel end tapers is to time the flywheel to the crankshaft as the flywheel is being fitted to the taper.

However a tapered pulley will probably end up being a "pain in the bum", as you will have no means of adjusting how far out the pulley will sit, to line up with your transmission pulley. Also you will have to use some sort of puller to get they pulley back off for any reason.

The best solution would be to remove the crank from the engine and have the taper turned to a straight shaft, and then a keyway put in it. Wouldnt take a machineshop long to do it. Then use a "normal" straight bore pulley.

A friend of mine (who has a BIG lathe!) actually mounted a complete engine in the chuck of his lathe and turned a tapered shaft straight, sounded as scary as hell to me!

neil

:thumbs: :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: why isnt anything ever simple

i spent hours trying to get this engine going then at it starts up and runs lovely i suddenly realise that it has the wrong type crankshaft. :drool::drool: :drool:

sorekiwi

One other thought that just occured to me.

Depending on the dimensions of the shaft and pulley you want to use...

Maybe you could have a bush made with a tapered bore to suit the crank, and a straight outside diameter with a keyway to suit the pulley?

Is this the motor that you bought a month or so ago and thought was siezed?

neil

yes this was the engine i bought a month ago, My thats some memory you have there.

the good news it wasnt seized, the cowling was bent and was stopping the flywheel from turning but i broke the rope in trying to start the engine so ive spent a couple of hours mending that.

So your saying that all is not lost & it can be doctors to work

sorekiwi

My thats some memory you have there.

the good news it wasnt seized, the cowling was bent and was stopping the flywheel from turning

No, I have trouble remembering what day it is these days.

But I do remember telling you to check that the shroud wasnt smashed in around the flywheel! :thumbs: