Sign in to follow this  
brandonozz

C-120 Engine swap

brandonozz

I have a '76 C120 with a 12 HP Kohler. Will a 17.5 HP Kohler fit in this tractor? The twin is coming out of a Newer Horse but I don't know the year - probably close to a '82.

Thanks for any info

Brandon

smoreau

well I think the engine will fit in the frame just fine and the belts should work fine. but the problem will be the batt and fuel tank. on the 82 the batt is located where the fuel tank is on your 76. and the fuel tank on the 82 is under the seat. So you could leave the tank where it si on your c120 and find a new location for the batt. or get a newer rear fender assm. with the tank. then mount the batt. where the fuel tank was on the c120. The larger engine takes the space of your original batt. and tray. any thing is possible and good luck with choice. :thumbs::thumbs:

oh and :thumbs:

Don1977

Check the width, I don't think it will fit. I have put a Briggs Vanguard in my 1977 C-120. There isn't any room left. I checked the widths of Kohler twins and Honda twins they were both wider then the Briggs.

IMGP1770.jpg

That's putting the crankshaft back in the same place as the 12 HP Kohler. I used the same drive belt.

brandonozz

Thanks for the great Info! I was looking for a parts horse for my '76 when I came across the '82 (I'm guessing but your right about the gas tank being under the seat). The transaxle is the same 8 speed and I was wondering about the bigger engine - if I can get it running. Would the 17.5 have considerably more power than the 12? Horse power ratings seem to be sometimes understated and sometimes overstated and I figured someone has done this before. I'm using the tractor to do a little plowing and cultivating for food plots and gardens.

:thumbs:

smoreau

Thanks for the great Info! I was looking for a parts horse for my '76 when I came across the '82 (I'm guessing but your right about the gas tank being under the seat). The transaxle is the same 8 speed and I was wondering about the bigger engine - if I can get it running. Would the 17.5 have considerably more power than the 12? Horse power ratings seem to be sometimes understated and sometimes overstated and I figured someone has done this before. I'm using the tractor to do a little plowing and cultivating for food plots and gardens.

:thumbs:

more power the answer is YES I have a k301 on a 69 electro 12 and it dosnt hold a candle to my 417a that 17 series 2 has never yet run out of power when it comes to pushing snow or pulling something. the electro 12 does run out under very heavy loads but it does just fine if you back of the hydro a little so the engine can rev back up. Ether engine you chose will do fine as long as you know there limits. good luck :thumbs: :thumbs: