Sign in to follow this  
closha63

K301

closha63

I rebuild my motor about 5 months ago. I used it to plow and mow the grass for about a month. I never really took notice to it but I am thinking that its not tuned right. When it starts up i cant keep it on low idle it has to be around mid-medium. Also it is hydro. so when i put the belt tensioner down to engage the trans and try to move on idle it will just cut out. Could it be something in the carb tuning? Where do most tune the needles to?

rmaynard

Start by removing the main jet needle valve and clean it thoroughly. There are holes just below the top threads, 1/2" down from the bottom threads, and 3/8" from the tip. They all need to be clean, as does the inside of the needle. You must be able to pass air through the entire inside of the tube.

Next, check that your throttle shaft is not wobbly. If it is, get a kit and fix it.

Most people tune by ear, so start by turning to section 6 of the Kohler engine manual, page 6.3. Follow the instructions for basic tuning. That should get you where you need to be.

closha63

The throttle shaft is a little wobbly in the carb. housing. You said something about a kit. What kit and where can i find it?

can whlvr

its called a throttle shaft kit,its a bushing that gets drilled into the top of the carb where the throttle shaft goes into the carb,if u look on ebay u can see them,some kits have the instalation tool as well,maybe someone here knows a better place 4 them,maybe member kb9lor can get these,he sells other engine parts

rmaynard

I buy mine on eBay. Since I can't post a link, search for seller "mowers4u", and look for his Kohler throttle shaft kits.

JC 1965

You can also find the bushing at Brian Miller's web site ( you can find his site here on red square ) He also gives you detailed instructions on how to install it. He also gives you step by step instructions on cleaning and adjusting your carburetor. hope this helps!!

good luck :thumbs:

WH nut

Sounds to me like you just need to adjust the carb. You can be sucking air through the shaft but it would have to be really bad to pervent it from idling. Back out your low speed jet anothe full turn and see how she does then fine tune from there. If she runs then turn in the low speed until she start to fall off then back it out until it runs smooth. Do the same for the high speed jet. Full RPM and adjust the same way