Sign in to follow this  
hoppy

Tech H60 coil swap....issues?

hoppy

can i take the coil off an h60 that has i believe lighting coils on the stator and put it onto a h60 that doesnt have the lighting coils without any issues? i have no spark on a rebuild. the original coil had a broken wire right where it goes into the coil. so i was sold a nice stator assy with all the goodies including what i think are lighting coils. i took the coil off the new one and put it on this rebuild motor. buttoned everything back up. gave her a few cranks and no sprak i can see. i have not changed the condenser however i did have to fix the wire running to the points from the condenser. easy soilder fix. i have cleaned the points and set the gap.

wondering if this coil is not designed for a non lighted machine? :thumbs:

wheelhorse656

it sounds to me like you have the assembly that has three coils on it. the 2 charging coils and then the main ignition coil am i right? a pic of your step would really help me be able to tell you what to do. Bye Jordan :thumbs:

hoppy

yes that sounds right. wondring if i can take the black coil off this one and use it on another motor that doesnt have the other coils? or can i use this new stator assy on my rebuild and add lights to my machine?

wheelhorse656

yes you can take the black coil off and put on one from a motor that does not have the charging coils. i hope this helps if you r running a battrie then you need diodes and the rectifire board then you should be able to run lights. i have an extra diode board and proper fuse for $5 bucks if you need one. but i do not have any good diodes. if you have an old set i might be able to repair them for $5 if i cant repair them then ill send you your money back but it is always worth a shot. let me know if you need help with anything els or want any parts. Thanks Jordan :thumbs:

hoppy

cool beans jordan thanks for the help and the offer on the parts. trully appreciate it. the machine did not have lights to begin with so i dont plan on using the other stator with the other coils. all i needed was the black coil. ignition coil right? i put the coil in and have no spark.....so time to start testing i guess. do you know if the manual has testing procedures for the coil, condenser, points, etc?

wheelhorse656

The book does have a testing procedure but you have to have a coil tester. you might have a bad set of points or condencer. have changed those yet? and yes the black coil is the coil you want. if you are not planning one useing the other set of coils i would take them off if they do not have a battrie hooked to them you could fry them. i have the single set up for just the ignition coil with no charging coils. i also have points and condenser sets for $5. i would let the single mag set up for $3.00 it costs ussaully $4. you also might want to check the points to see if they are set at 18 to 20 thousenths. Hope this helps. Bye Jordan :thumbs: