Sign in to follow this  
IthacaJeff

Horsepower for tiller

IthacaJeff

WH'ers:

Here is the dilemma: I've got a 416-8 and a 310-8. The 416 is my mower, the 310

the utility get dirty tractor (dozer blade, moldboard, drags, trailer, etc.). If I can

get my tiller up and running for spring I've got a lot of chores for it, from a 40'x60'

garden, loosening up soil to plant about 60 small trees, and even knocking down

some high spots in the yard. Both tractors have turf tires, only the 310 has chains.

I foresee these tiller tasks taking a while during mowing season. I'd rather not be

switching the tiller and mower deck back and forth on the 416, so here are my

options:

--Run the 310 with the tiller. Leave the mower on the 416.

--Run the 416 with the tiller. Put the mower deck (48" SD) on the 310. Some of you

have said the 310 can handle the 48" deck (about 2 acres of level yard)

--Don't be so lazy and swap the tiller and deck on the 416.

What's your opinion?

Thanks,

Jeff in Enfield NY

can whlvr

i would run the 16 on tiller,u can use a 10 on tiller but its gonna work if u r breaking new ground,the 10 is gonna work on a 48 too,but it will do it,i have both those engine sizes,and i have done both duties on the 10 and if you keep on the grass it will do it ,if u were just breaking up a previously tilled garden only,then the 310 could till

Jim_M

I have had my tiller mounted on a 308-8 for a few years now. It has plenty of power for the job and it's great on gas. When breaking new ground with it I just set it shallow for the first pass, then go back over it again with the tiller set deeper. I have tire chains on it, they're almost a necessity with turf tires, the tiller can push the tractor.

Kelly

I've only used my tiller on my C-121 12hp, and I had more power than needed, but I will tell you these tillers don't do a very good job, on new ground, they don't have down pressure, so they bounce around a bit, if you soil is soft you should be fine, if not, do it after a rain, or water the area, not a mud puddle just wet to make it easier to till, your 310 should do fine.

farmer

I would say, depends on your soil type(hp for tilling) Also how often you cut your grass

(Hp for mowing) weekly mowing on a level lawn should be easy.....so I would use the 10 horse for mowing (fuel saving) and the 416 for ground work JMO

Rollerman

Use the 310 for tilling, you'll need the 16HP for the 48" deck if you get into any tall or wet grass.

10HP is plenty for the tiller.

The soil in my area is a clay mix that hardens like cement.

I used my B 60 successfully with a tiller last fall to turn my garden in the fall.

Never had much luck cutting tall or wet grass with a 48" deck & 10HP.

Not that I let my yard go, but there are times life happens.

Docwheelhorse

Tiller on 310 is perfect.... I have been running a tiller on a B100 with a 10hp magnum transplant and it is more than enough power.....

Tony

MaineDad

Use the moldbboard plow on the ground first to loosen up the soil, then from that point on the 310 will be plenty.

IthacaJeff

Gents:

Terrific advice! I'll run the tiller on the 310, and I don't believe I'll need to plow

with the moldboard first. The soil was tilled last summer during transformation of

about 2 ac from farmland to "yard".

Got about 8" of ice in the yard now. Yesterday's thaw and last night's freeze only

served to harden up the pack. Makes for some wicked fast sledding. . . kids' are

loving it!

Jeff in Enfield NY

persof

I till with my 312-8 at a little above 1/2 throttle and that is fine.

Francis