Sign in to follow this  
wolverine_cz

K241 ACR issue?

wolverine_cz

I have a Kohler 10 horse K241AS in a C310 Wheel Horse.

While plowing snow, the engine stopped and I was unable to restart. I was able to turn the crank over by hand, but a rattle noise could be heard. Suspecting the governer gear was wiped out, so I removed it from the tractor and took off the oil pan.

I found everything seemingly intact. No loose bits or shavings. However, the camshaft did not turn when I turn the crank. The gear moves, but not the cam lobes. I am not clear how the ACR works. Is the camshaft in 2 pieces and the ACR engages the lobes only at higher RPM?

Does the ACR leave open the exhaust valve a little to reduce compression.

Am I chasing up the wrong tree and really have a different problem with ignition?

Suggestions?

wheelhorse656

I hope nothing is meesed up! :thumbs: Some of our more sessiond kohler guys should be able to help you with this! good luck, bye Jordan :thumbs:

TT

A C310? :thumbs: Perhaps you mean a 310-8?

The one-piece camshaft is hollow and turns on a hardened steel pin.

It sounds like the camshaft broke in half just inside the gear - which is uncommon, but not unheard of.

It has nothing to do with the ACR - which consists of a flyweight, spring, and a "finger" that is integral with the camshaft lobe.

Once the engine reaches adequate rpm, the flyweight moves outward (from centrifugal force) and the "finger" retracts below the surface of the exhaust lobe on the camshaft.

wheelhorse656

A C310? :thumbs: Perhaps you mean a 310-8?

The one-piece camshaft is hollow and turns on a hardened steel pin.

It sounds like the camshaft broke in half just inside the gear - which is uncommon, but not unheard of.

It has nothing to do with the ACR - which consists of a flyweight, spring, and a "finger" that is integral with the camshaft lobe.

Once the engine reaches adequate rpm, the flyweight moves outward (from centrifugal force) and the "finger" retracts below the surface of the exhaust lobe on the camshaft.

i never knew that, This thread will come in handy one day. off to the favorites it goes! :thumbs: