Sign in to follow this  
theoldwizard1

Old man winter

theoldwizard1

So the sun was shinning, the temp was about 40F, the driveway was mostly dry and the van (1998 E150 Club Wagon) was 100 miles over due for an oil change. No problem.

Drag the floor jack out of the garage and a big piece of clean cardboard to lay on (even easier than a creeper). The heavy duty jacks stands were buried in the garage so I figured I would grab a couple of blocks that I had stashed behind the trash cans. Frozen solid ! Okay, a few "love taps" with a sledge ... no dice, and I didn't want to break them. About 2 gallons of hot water later, old man winter finally released his icy grip.

Then I had to go hunting in a snow bank for my oil drain pan and funnel. Found the pan, but no funnel. Press on.

Up in the air. Pull the oil filter. Only get my hands slightly oily. Spin on new filter. Heck it is warm enough, I'm talking my jacket off. (I'll bet lots of folks in MI, MN and the far northeast are walking around with only a spring coat on !)

Pull the 15mm wrench out of the tool box (I go back to when all American cars use fractional fasteners.) Underneath. Dang. How many times have I changed the oil on this beast (105,000 / 5,000) and I still can't remember it is a 16mm ! Okay go to the oil stock pile. What ! There is only 3 quarts in this jug ! And the other car is parked in. Thankfully my sons car was available. Quick trip to Wally World. 2 jugs and a big funnel (the other one will show up in a week or 2 when the show melts).

As the song goes, "Another Pleasant Valley Sunday ..."

Supposed to be 50 be the end of the week. Steak on the BBQ sounds good !

Sparky

I hear ya! My landscape trailer for hauling tractors is buried behing rock-solid snow piles so no new tractors right now. My ramps for getting things in the back of my pick-up are under 24"-36" of snow and I bet I couldnt point to the EXACT spot their in for digging em out.

I miss mowing :thumbs: !

Mike.......

varosd

Here in Central PA..we really only had 4-5 inchs at a time(unlike last year!) and so it's all melting! yet Philly and North of here they got a lot more..funny how only 50-60 miles makes!

This is the first year being back North and in our house (out of the rental place..finally!). My Dad's B-80 never had a ST as my Dad had a self propelled ST, so this is my first year using one on the tractor!

I do like mowing but living in the South..we would start in Apr and go all the into Nov..and the heat and humidity was brutal. and while hybrid Bermuda grass is beautiful..I was cutting like every 4 days!! My parents left CT and lived for 13yrs in FL until giving up and moving back to CT...some reasons were the heat,bugs,storms and the year round maintaing the yard, as my Dad refused to hire someone (they never did it to his standard..sounds familiar!!

I love the 4 seasons and the different challenges they pose..and more attachments !

Don V

Kelly

Wizard, I did the same, I was over due by a few hundered miles and had oil and filter in back of the suburban from a few weeks ago, felt nice to be able to not have gloves on, and still feel my fingers, I took a shovel and flatened out some snow piles around the driveway, I have cement up by the house, but from there to the road is mud, 50's here this week and the mud bog to go with it, and yes I had a flanel shirt on outside, feels good, not ready to mow yet, but I'm done with snow, even though I know we will get more before it's over.

6wheeler

No oil changes needed at this time "grateful". I sat outside yesterday morning on the concrete slab between the house and garage and had my morning coffee :thumbs:. Surrounded by the 12 barncats and 2 lazy dogs all soaking up the 40+temps and sunshine :thumbs::thumbs: it was great. I cleaned out the ends of the downspouts and listened to the water run. Kelly, I know it is short lived,but I for one will take it :thumbs: