Sign in to follow this  
foursevens

K301 parts fit K241?

foursevens

I have a K241 with a broken connecting rod. I have found a crank & conn. rod for a K301. Can I swap in these parts or is this more trouble than its worth? Thanks, Doug

KB9LOR

I have a K241 with a broken connecting rod. I have found a crank & conn. rod for a K301. Can I swap in these parts or is this more trouble than its worth? Thanks, Doug

Why not just replace it with the correct parts? It won't work putting the crank and the rod from a 301 into a 241.

dobeleo

The following is the link to the Kohler Parts look-up:

http://www.kohlerplus.com/login.asp

Just search the engine breakdowns and see if they are the same for the engines

Good Luck!

Don1977

The stroke on a K241 is 2 7/8" the stroke on a K301 is 3 1/4". I don't know about the length on the rods. I don't see how they would be the same.

You would have to find out it the distance from the center of the crank to the top of the block is the same on both the K241 and K301. Then you may have a problem with engine balance. Then you might need to bore out to 3 3/8"to make it a standard K301.

rmaynard

Some K241's were actually made from K301 blocks. If you have one of those, it will be marked on the PTO side with "K301". You could take that block, have it bored to 3.375, install a K301 standard piston and rings, K301 crankshaft, and connecting rod, and when you were finished, you would have a K301, 12HP engine.

But the answer as given above is correct. A K301 crankshaft and connecting rod cannot be used in a K241 as a direct replacement for a K241 crank and rod.

tmessenger

Some K241's were actually made from K301 blocks. If you have one of those, it will be marked on the PTO side with "K301". You could take that block, have it bored to 3.375, install a K301 standard piston and rings, K301 crankshaft, and connecting rod, and when you were finished, you would have a K301, 12HP engine.

But the answer as given above is correct. A K301 crankshaft and connecting rod cannot be used in a K241 as a direct replacement for a K241 crank and rod.

Most likely would also need to replace the head, chamber shape would be different. The K241 is rated a 10.6 hp @ 3600 rpm's and the K301 @ 12 hp @ 3600 so it would be a lot of monkeying around for not much gain. I would mic the crank before buying a new rod it broke for a reason.

tm

rmaynard

Most likely would also need to replace the head, chamber shape would be different.

Oops. You are correct. I forgot about the head. I was only thinking about the internals. Thanks for that correction.

TT

Although I have never personally done it, I suspect the biggest issues would be balance (the K241 piston should be lighter than the K301 piston) and piston (wrist) pin height.

Deck height is the same on 10 thru 16hp blocks, as is the rod journal on the crankshafts, so if the pin height is correct, the parts will physically interchange.

Most production cylinder heads will interchange between stock 10 & 12hp engines.

You'd essentially be building a "stroker" K-241 which would displace 27 in

foursevens

I had found a good deal on a crank, conn. rod from the 301 & just thought if it would work it would save me some $$$ and let me get it running now. Thanks, for the help! Doug