Sign in to follow this  
HorseFixer

Re Hour-ed The Snow Chucker

HorseFixer

Yep thanks! :thumbs: I Was on my way to repost link like I did on the other post. Here it is again. :thumbs:

stevebo

Try this one all-

JoeMonag

Hey Duke, great movie. The newly installed tack( with 4"off the end of the pick up lead) on my 310-8 is performing identical to yours on the snow chucker. Your 301 sounds the same as my 341. I like your muffler set up. I need to replace my oem muffler soon, it is on its last leg. Could you please send me some pic's and a parts list of your set up?

Please send it to JoeMonag@aol.com.

I'm going to check my dash tach with a shop tach, and check the 416/341 to be sure it isn't over reving. I am also going to look around for a better quality shop tach.

So lets see how log the internal battery last on our new tach/ hour meters, when it dies it may be time for Sluggo, LOL

Thanks for allyou help. Joe in Norton

JoeMonag

Hey Duke, I forgot I had an old "Dwell Tach", my brother gave me. I read the directions and it said for 4 cyl double the the 8 cyl reading, ei 450 rpm on the meter is actualy an engine speed of 900rpm. So I had a thought if the reading on the meter is 1/2 of the actual rpm for a 4 cyl, then for a 1cyl it should read 1/8 of the actaul engine rpm. So if the tach reads 150rpm the engine speed is actually 1200rpm, and if it reads 425 the engine speed is actually 3400rpm. I went out to the 416 to see if my assumption was right. Well to my delight. My idle read 150 on the tach, and my max. unloaded throttle read 425, which equates to 1200 and 3400 rpm respectively.

So now I am confident that the K341-s is not over reving. And to all of you owners of tractors w/ battery ignition systems, you can dust off your old dwell/tachs and use them to set you idle and max. unloaded rpm. by taking the reading on the 8 cyl. scale, and multiplying it by 8.

Joe in Norton

HorseFixer

Hey Joe, Good Job! So yer saying the tach we are useing is reading correctly right? :thumbs: I think I have one of those dwell tachs layin around somewhere will have to give it a try!

Thanks ~Duke :thumbs:

JoeMonag

Hey, Duke what I'm saying is I was able to use a the tach on a dwell/tach to determine the engine speed on my 416 / K341 16hp battery ignition, by taking the reading on the tach on the 8 cylinder scale and multiplying it by 8. I wanted to make sure my K341 wan't reving too high.

When I had the tach/hour meter on the 416 it read the idle ok, but it was displaying 4800 to 5200 for the full open throttle, so I didn't believe it. The 310 has a solid state ignition, since I haven't figured how to connect my dwell/tach to the 310 yet I couldn't verify the engine speed. I'm going to borrow a wireles shop tach from my dealer to verify the readings on the tach/hour meter, some time this week. I'll keep you posted.

I installed the tach/hour meter on the 310 after I tried it with about 4" of the insulation stripped off the end of the pick up wire ,wrapped around the plug wire just below the boot. I knew from using the shop tach before, that the idle on the 310 was around 1200, and the full open throttle was around 3000. The tach/ hour meter is displaying the same on setting 2. It seems to be reacting just like yours, but I'm on setting #2 and it on a solid state ignition.

If you want to check your tach/ hour meter, hook up your dwell/tach in the tach position , green wire to the negative side of your coil, and black wire to ground.

The reading on the 8cyl scale should be 150rpm at idle which is 1/8 of 1200, and 420 at full throttle which is 1/8 of 3360.

BTW I just checked my dwell/tach, if you use the 6 cyl scale the displayed reading will be 1/6th of the actual engine speed.

I'm curious to see if your dwell/ tach verifies the reading on you tach/hour meter.

Hey I still want some advise on mufflers, when you get a chance.

Take care Joe in Norton

JoeMonag

Hey Duke, I stand corrected, I just checked my manual and parts list fro the 310-8. It has a 10hp Magnum engine, with a mangeto ignition. So there is no place to hook up a dwell tach. So I'll have to stick with my plan to borrow the hand held digital wireless shop tach from my dealer, to verify the accuracy of the display on the tach/ hours meter.

Joe in Norton

HorseFixer

I'm curious to see if your dwell/ tach verifies the reading on you tach/hour meter.

Hey I still want some advise on mufflers, when you get a chance.

Take care Joe in Norton

Joe, I will have to hunt up my ole dwell @ tach meter. And Oh... on the exhaust system.

Since my heating system in the cab utilizes air that is forced across the jug from air being pushed by the flywheel (and its allot of air forced thru there) the flywheel picked up some exhaust fumes on that side more than I would wish. The engine sounded like Ch!t and so I decided to put a stack on. Well after taking off that Bucked up muff is was Muffed alright insides were blown apart or at least loose and rattling <_< I went out to my Rural Kind and they have far-mall Mufflers some number like F-1 or some thing like that so I picked one up and a flapper. I then went to Lowe's and PU a piece of electrical long radius El and was able to merry things up quite nicely seemed like there was an adapter I picked up :thumbs: can remember. :thumbs: Anywho I tig welded everything together (No Clamps) :thumbs: well one at the stub pipe sticking out of the engine. make sure if ya weld to get the Galv off the L radius electrical EL :drool: some people get sick off the fumes when welding or just use clamps. The only thing I am disappointed in is I used some bull Ch!t paint that fell off as it was kinda punky (old) in the can. Will repaint this spring. Here are some pics of the exhaust. Oh and by the way it really sound good much better on the outside of the cab has a deep rich tone. :thumbs: Heres some before and after shots. Take Care ~Duke

BEFORE

DSCN2489.jpg

DSCN2498.jpg

DSCN2502.jpg

AFTER

DSCN2544.jpg

DSCN2543.jpg

JoeMonag

Hey Duke, thanks for the pic.s Joe

JoeMonag

Hey Duke, I borrowed my dealer's hand held digital tach to check the accuracy of the tach/hour meter I installed on my 310-8 with magneto ignition. The unit is identical to the one you installed on your sno- chucker. The good news is the the tach/hour meter dsiplays basicly the same as the as the hand held tachometer.

So I can conclude the unit we each bought is consistant and accurate.

Joe in Norton

HorseFixer

Hey Duke, I borrowed my dealer's hand held digital tach to check the accuracy of the tach/hour meter I installed on my 310-8 with magneto ignition. The unit is identical to the one you installed on your sno- chucker. The good news is the the tach/hour meter dsiplays basicly the same as the as the hand held tachometer.

So I can conclude the unit we each bought is consistant and accurate.

Joe in Norton

Joe, that's great news. :thumbs: I figured it was pretty close. I'm thinking about getting a second one just to have in my tool kit.

The best part of finding out that it is pretty accurate is that Sluggo can stay in the tool box. :thumbs:

Gerry w

Looks good with that stack Duke! You going to brace it in anyway at all? And why is it that most folks face their flapper the other way then yours?

JC 1965

I put a stack muffler with rain cap ( flapper ) on my Raider 12. At first I had the flapper turned the same direction that duke has his turned. The problem was I got a lot of exhaust fumes from it so I turned it so the hinge of the flapper is in the rear. That cut down on the fumes. It probably won't matter on duke's setup because he has the cab on his. :thumbs: OH YEA DUKE !! Many compliments on your setup, It's awesome !! :thumbs::thumbs: :thumbs:

HorseFixer

Looks good with that stack Duke! You going to brace it in anyway at all? And why is it that most folks face their flapper the other way then yours?

Cause they dont know what there doing! :drool: Heck I dunno? :thumbs: doesn't make much sence to me to blow the exhaust out to the front of you :thumbs: As you can see by the pics I posted above, the flapper is just a couple inches lower than the top of the Cab, so there is Zero Fumes and besides All Semi's that I have seen have their Exhausts aimed tword the back to get the fumes up and over the Tops of their rigs so that was my thinking. :thumbs: Sure are some beautiful trucks out there with some nice looking stacks! At least thats what I seen when I google searched for Pictures of Semi Truck Stacks! :thumbs:

JoeMonag

Yes Duke, my sluggo and yours will just have to wait for another day. Joe