Sign in to follow this  
HorseFixer

Re Hour-ed The Snow Chucker

varosd

I remember my friends CJ-5 Jeep with a plug in hot cocoa machine.....wait, you are what, 68 degrees in the cab...a frozen marguretia machine that runs on 12 volts! :thumbs:

HorseFixer

Duke...do you have a sleeper cab on that tractor? It looks to nice to get out of. :drool:

:thumbs::drool::thumbs: Now thats an Idea! :drool:

But before I get the sleeper I need to take care Of the Entertainment Center I think on top of the Radio, I Think this unit

would be a good addition. I would have to make a Stainless Steel mount probably but Im down with that! :thumbs: What Ya Think?

A GPS could come in handy for navigating through blinding Lake Effect Snow Storms! :thumbs:

7inTV.jpg

hm12460

So where can a fella get a hula girl like that??

HorseFixer

Harold, this Hula Gal was lured all the way from VERMONT home of the wIcKeD & eViL vErMoNsTeR the word on the street has it that the vErMoNsTer was holding her captive in a freezing WH Cab. Gerry the vErMoNsTeRs MASTER came to Charlotte Michigan to a tractor show this past Aug. The Hula Girl had heard that 'The Duke" The cReAtOr of the famous mIcHmOnStEr Ultimate Snow Chucker with a heated cab and she snuck in his suitcase and escaped the eViL vErMoNsTeR! Thats my story and I'm sticking to it! :thumbs:

I do hear she has a sister possibly at Autozone or Advance Auto! :thumbs:

Below is a photo of proof that She was rescued by "The Duke" You tell me if she doesnt look happier in my cab? Soon to have a Radio & TV to watch. :thumbs:

DSCN1982.jpg

JoeMonag

Hey Duke, what size engine are you running on your snow chucker? My manual for my '86 416-8 and my '88 310-8, both list the max.governed rpm at 3400 rpm (no load) for the 310,312,414,416, and 417.

I like the tach/hour meter you have, I ordered one last might. I am running a 44" two stage on my 416, and I am curoius, about the actual rpm at full throttle, with a load. I just had the K341s rebuilt on the 416, and when I get into heavy snow you can hear when the govn. kicks in., just as it does on my 26" 8hp Snapper walk behind. Got to use the two stage on the 416 a lot this season clearing my 400' paved driveway, we have had over 70" of snow since Dec. 26th. I'm now wishing for spring. Good luck, Joe in Norton, MA

HorseFixer

Hey Duke, what size engine are you running on your snow chucker? My manual for my '86 416-8 and my '88 310-8, both list the max.governed rpm at 3400 rpm (no load) for the 310,312,414,416, and 417.

I like the tach/hour meter you have, I ordered one last might. I am running a 44" two stage on my 416, and I am curoius, about the actual rpm at full throttle, with a load. I just had the K341s rebuilt on the 416, and when I get into heavy snow you can hear when the govn. kicks in., just as it does on my 26" 8hp Snapper walk behind. Got to use the two stage on the 416 a lot this season clearing my 400' paved driveway, we have had over 70" of snow since Dec. 26th. I'm now wishing for spring. Good luck, Joe in Norton, MA

:thumbs: Joe I'm just running a 301 12 measly HP. :thumbs: Id like a 16 on mine for grins and giggles but Jeesh I personally dont see how it could get any better? :thumbs:

Heck I dont want to get the damn thing done faster cause Id be working myself outta a job and the fun! :drool: Gotta make this fun last a bit! That's why I figure Id get half done pull over rare back drink a beer and watch a tv show. :drool: Happy Chuckin! :thumbs:

JoeMonag

Hey Duke, I just got my tach/ hour meter.(same as yours) Went out to my shed to try it on my 416. I just wrapped the wire around the plug wire about 3 or 4 turns loosely, The readings on the #3 setting seemed iradic. Does the pick up wire have to be tight on the plug wire?If so, how did you secure your pick up wire.Do suggest electrical tape or Tie wraps or both? Does temperature affect the meter, it was about 20 outside tonight.

I tried it on my 310 on setting #2 and it seemed to be more accurate. The 310 has solid state ignition, the 416 has a battery powered coil, points and condenser, and the points are driven by a push rod off the cam shaft. Engine was just rebuilt and installed Dec. 26th.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Joe in Norton

HorseFixer

Joe I wrapped mine about 5-6 turns I think. :thumbs: And wrapped it at the end of the spark plug wire on the rubber boot with wraps tight together. I then used Rescue Tape RP2562 this stuff is amazing I have used it for years, when overlapped it seals & mends itself together chemically and pulls tighter than Ole ***** Hat band. It Seals out moisture withstands heat and pressure and withstands voltage and is Chemical resistant. Its amazing stuff! Makes electrical Tape look like Masking Tape! :thumbs: You can get the stuff on flee bay. I put mine on setting #3 on the meter. Try that and let me know how it works just use electrical tape first. :thumbs: Good Luck! ~Duke

SelfMendingTape.jpg

SelfMendingTape2.jpg

HorseFixer

Joe by the way What do you mean by Erratic? :thumbs: being a 416 is a 2 cyl I dont think they fire every other revolution so setting #3... I think would be wrong. :thumbs:

~Duke

JoeMonag

Duke the engine is a K341 16HP single cyl. I tried the tach tonight. I wrappred the pick-up wire 5-6 times just below the boot. and secured it with electrical tape. It seems more stable. I does jump around when you idle down, but settles down at idle to 1200 rpm. I think I'll try it on the boot tomorrow to see if it is more stable on the high end. I have it set on Position #3. My plug wire from the coil to the plug is only 6-7 " long. I also plan to re-adjust the carb, and set the timing if it warms up on the week end. This may improve the stability of the readings. I had used a hand held digital tach that my dealer lent me. It was about 1.5" X2.5" and you had to hold it near the plug wire, if not held in the correct position, the readings would be all over the place. I'm going to clean up the plug wire contacts also.

Duke how is the stability on your meter, is your reading fairly stable? I'll keep you posted on my next trial.

Joe in Norton

JoeMonag

Duke, had a thought in the night, when you hooked up your meter, did you remove the insulation from the end of the pick up wire, or leave it in place? I left the insulation on the end of the pick up wire.

Joe in Norton

tmessenger

Duke, had a thought in the night, when you hooked up your meter, did you remove the insulation from the end of the pick up wire, or leave it in place? I left the insulation on the end of the pick up wire.

Joe in Norton

I'm interested in the answer to this also, I have one of these coming.

HorseFixer
Duke

Gerry w

Harold, this Hula Gal was lured all the way from VERMONT home of the wIcKeD & eViL vErMoNsTeR the word on the street has it that the vErMoNsTer was holding her captive in a freezing WH Cab. Gerry the vErMoNsTeRs MASTER came to Charlotte Michigan to a tractor show this past Aug. The Hula Girl had heard that 'The Duke" The cReAtOr of the famous mIcHmOnStEr Ultimate Snow Chucker with a heated cab and she snuck in his suitcase and escaped the eViL vErMoNsTeR! Thats my story and I'm sticking to it! :thumbs:

I do hear she has a sister possibly at Autozone or Advance Auto! :thumbs:

Below is a photo of proof that She was rescued by "The Duke" You tell me if she doesnt look happier in my cab? Soon to have a Radio & TV to watch. :thumbs:

DSCN1982.jpg

:drool::drool::drool:

Your just too much!! :thumbs:

JoeMonag

Hey Duke, I tried the tach last night with the pick-up wire onthe boot at #3 on my 416 and #2 on my 310. The results were all over the place. I contacted the customer service, and I have their tel #, I'll call them today and see if I can ge an exchange. When I had it on the 416, with no change in engine speed it went from 3000 to 4800 rpm. At idle it seems more stable at 1200rpm, but again with out any engine speed change it drifts down to 1080 and up to 1320. I think I got a defective unit. Joe

HorseFixer

Hey Duke, I tried the tach last night with the pick-up wire onthe boot at #3 on my 416 and #2 on my 310. The results were all over the place. I contacted the customer service, and I have their tel #, I'll call them today and see if I can ge an exchange. When I had it on the 416, with no change in engine speed it went from 3000 to 4800 rpm. At idle it seems more stable at 1200rpm, but again with out any engine speed change it drifts down to 1080 and up to 1320. I think I got a defective unit. Joe

WoW Joe, sounds like it's Bucked Up! :thumbs: Yeah that sounds like what it is defective, damn Chiawaneese stuff anyways. Its prolly a crap shoot no matter how ya look at it getting a good or bad one! :thumbs: I will make a video tomorrow and I think you will agree mine works pretty good sorry yer havein problems with yers! <_< Hope the next one works better! :thumbs:

~Duke

JoeMonag

Duke, they offered me a refund of $17.99, ( guess I have to eat the shipping cost)I told them I would prefere a replacment, waiting for an answer. I think you lucked out. Can't wait to see the video. Joe in Norton

stevasaurus

Before long Ill just fricken sit in the SNOW CHUCKER in driveway with lights and gauges flashing and pretend I have a space ship! :thumbs:

~Duke

A GALAXY CLASS SNOW CRUISER :thumbs: Gimme Warp 2 Scotty... :thumbs:

JoeMonag

Hey Duke, spent some time in the shed today, oiling the chain and greasing the two stage, and repalced two missing bolts on the snow blade cutting edge, that I discoverd were awol.

I figured what have I got to loose, So I stripped about 4 inches off the end of the pick up wire, on the tach, and tried it on the 416, it was more stable but still ran up to 4800 rpm, on 3. I decided to try it on the 310, on #2 for grins and giggles, and to my surprise, it seem to work, with idle at 1080 to 1200, and high full throttle at 3000, and it is more stable. I went back and tried it on the 416, no improvement. So I put a bead of solder on the stripped end and wrapped it around the plug wire just below the plug boot, after mounting the tach just to the left of the steering columb on the 310. So now the 310 has an Hour meter, and maybe a tach. I have a 42" dozer blade on the 310, and a 2.4KW belt driven generator on a rig I made attached to the front hitch. I reduced the pulley on the gen set, for a 1.5 to 1 ratio. With the engine at a steady report from the tach of 2400 rpm, I had 60HZ ( which means the gen. was at 3600 rpm) 120 volts.

So I am wondering if these tachs only work on magneto solid state ignition systems, as the 416 is a battery ignition system, and if not maybe their is a problem with my ignition system onthe 416.

What type of ignition do you have on your 12HP snow chucker?

At any rate I think I got what I paid for, such a Deal.

Joe in Norton

HorseFixer

Joe, here is the Movie I made displaying how The Tach Hour meter works in the Snow Chucker! :thumbs: I gave my Indoor Outdoor Clock thermometer thingy a fixin while I made the movie! :thumbs: I was gonna say maybe you should try my method of fixin if all else fails! :thumbs:

JimD

Getting a channel not available message here too Duke. Looks like you bucked this up twice! :thumbs:

JoeMonag

Duke, what type of ignition do you have onthe 12hp K301 ?

BTW I couldn't get the video to work. See my previous post.

Joe in Norton

HorseFixer

Duke, what type of ignition do you have onthe 12hp K301 ?

BTW I couldn't get the video to work.

JoeMonag

Hey Duke, still can't get the Movie. Seeing you have the same type of ignition as my 416, I'm going to check the engine with another tach, to make sure the engine isn't over-reving. Hey thanks for all your help. We have 1-3" of snow on the way. should be a quick clean-up, with my 310-8 dozer blade, and a few passes with the 416 two stage on the edges of the driveway. Have Monday off, so I don't have to get up a " O Dark 500 to clear the driveway.

Joe in Norton

DrabHorse

This link should work I think

Good video, I might think about getting one of those, I like that it is both the tach and hour meter.