Sign in to follow this  
C.M.C-175

Sundstrand SLOW Reverse

C.M.C-175

I have a C175 with a Sundstrand Hydro. I was using it today to plow snow and I hardly have any reverse. The engine is running great and the forward motion is good and strong. When I move the lever all the back it moves a lot slower than it did the last time I used it, which was the day prior. Also, it does not seem to have any power in reverse. With the tractor in reverese, you can almost hold it back, and if there is any resistance (like snow or a hill) it wont go at all. I tried messing around with the adjustments for the forward and reverse under that black plate in front of the seat and did not seem to help much. Any ideas???? And is there a surefire way to adjust the that cam and slider so that it goes into full reverse? :thumbs: Any help is greatly appreciated.

can whlvr

when that happened to me i had to replace the plastic plate,still available at toro

C.M.C-175

I have already replaced the plate about a year ago, but I'll have to look at it to make sure it has not cracked or broken

B-8074

What year is your C-175? Mine is an 81 and has an Eaton Hydro. Is it the original tranny? The adjustments should be under the seat.

C.M.C-175

My C175 is a 1980 model # 01-17KS02. All the major components are original to the tractor.

B-8074

I learned something new. I didn't realize that they used both Eaton and Sundstrand hydro units on the same model year. :thumbs:

WheelHorse_of_course

That adjustment is to set the neutral, so no surprise that didn't help.

Do you have the Sundstrand Tranny PDF?

If not, send me a private email and I'll send it to you

:thumbs: :thumbs:

C.M.C-175

The cam that is adjustable for the neutral, does it also set how far the shaft that rotates for forward and reverse is pushed from one side to the other?

can whlvr

i also once had to put the tractor up on blocks(be sure it cant fall off)and took the plate off and run it and see whats going on in there,see if u can move the plastic plate up and down,and see if u can take the plastic plate off and move the cam behind it by hand and see if its still going slow in reverse,its probally linkage not letting the plate move all the way

WheelHorse_of_course

The adjustment is for neutral adjust.

You know I did have something like this once. I didn't recall before.

Turned out a chunk of wood (probably from the Shredder) got in somewhere and was preventing movement. I don't recall where it was, I did have the cover off for a long while, but I am not sure if it was during that period.

So check for crud and maybe you'll be lucky.

:thumbs: :thumbs:

C.M.C-175

I took the plastic slider plate off last night and ran the forward and reverse by hand. It works fine, the lever went quite a bit further to the reverse side. So, my issue is somewhere in the linkage. I inspected the parts and noticed that the cam that adjusts the linkage had a major bur on it from the set screw and would not let me turn it far enough to adjust it correctly... I think. It also had a flat spot on both sides which is taking some of the adjustment out of it right there. I'm gonna go today to see if I can order one and hopefully that does it. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

can whlvr

glad to hear u might have it narrowed down and its not the pump

C.M.C-175

Well, good news. I was the linkage the whole time, no internal hydro problems. Finally got a chance to work on it and totally changed the linkage with some rod end ball joints some threaded rod and some steel brackets I had to make. The motion lever works smoother than it ever has! Thanks everyone for their help! :thumbs: :thumbs: