Sign in to follow this  
jcb857

Exhaust Heat Shield

jcb857

I need a exhaust shield for my 401 and I found one that is for a 58 or 59 RJ. Are the shields from the 58,59, RJ the same as the ones used on the 401 models. Thanks

Jim_M

Yup, same thing.

MikesRJ

It should look just like this one:

060g.jpg

HeatShield.png

Redbirdman

I am assuming the shield is made from regular sheet metal no?

What thickness? And I wonder if aluminum would do a better job of dissipating heat...(I know a dreaded REPRO!) but heat is heat...

Mine came with a home made square shield from a Sno-King snowblower and it did not do much except get really hot just closer to your leg! :thumbs:

:thumbs: for that really good photo

ed

MikesRJ

The heat shield is there more for routing the air coming from the engine (flywheel creates quite a breeze under the engine tins, which exits the right side of the engine, immediately behind where the heat shield is installed), moving the air forward along the exhaust pipe, and away from the driver.

The shield itself doesn't get too awfully hot (unless you're running the machine for hours on end), and the only issue I've seen or heard about is the clamps getting a little loose on the pipe when they heat up.

Most people put a length of bailing or stainless steel wire on the clamps when the engine is cool, which helps keep the shield in place when the clamps get hot.

bell

While we're on the subject, Mike...

Can you measure your heat shield and post the dimensions? I need to make a couple of these pretty soon.

:thumbs:

MikesRJ

The flat piece of metal you will start with is 13-1/2" long by 4-3/8" wide. The diagram below should get you the rest of the way.

The three holes are 1/8" diameter. The metal is 1/16" thick with primer and paint, I would assume it to actually be something like 1/32", perhaps a touch more.

HeatShield-2.png

bell

AWESOME!!! Thanks Mike! :thumbs:

MikesRJ

Bell,

I'd like to see pictures of your finished product when you're done. You're welcome, glad I could help.

rwilson

I found one on ebay. Keep looking, they pop up sometimes.

Gene_S

The flat piece of metal you will start with is 13-1/2" long by 4-3/8" wide. The diagram below should get you the rest of the way. The three holes are 1/8" diameter. The metal is 1/16" thick with primer and paint, I would assume it to actually be something like 1/32", perhaps a touch more.

HeatShield-2.png

Now that is service with a :thumbs: You rock Mike... :thumbs:

MikesRJ

What ever became of this venture Bell? Did you ever make them, and do you have extra's? I suddenly find I need one more ... :thumbs: