Sign in to follow this  
shinkle

k181s leaking oil out of weep hole?

shinkle

Hey guys. I have a 65 horse with a k181s. Its spitting oil out of a little hole above the belt pulley. Its a machined hole in the block. My other 181s engines also have this little hole but they have a pin in them that seem loose in every one they also leak slightly. my question is what is this hole for. whats it mean when oil is spitting out and where can i get a pin for it. thanks ps. i really wouldnt be so worried about it but its making my drive belt wear out too fast pushing snow.

TT

:thumbs:

Here's a pic of a K-181 block:

181block002.jpg

What hole/pin are you talking about? :thumbs:

shinkle

the hole is right behind the allen plug in your pic. in the cast that goes at an angle by the cooling fins

shinkle

i dont know why some one would drill a hole and put a pin in it. pin was loose when i bought tractor . must of fell out when pushing snow hole is no more than a 1/16 if an inch at least 1/2 inch deep. leaks like a siv. ive got allen head screws that size. dont know if i should just put that in?

TT

So you're saying it's right behind the governor shaft bushing?

Here?:

181block002-1.jpg

shinkle

Thats exactly where it is at. i took a small allen head bolt with some anyi sieze in the hole still leaks .had to push more snow today

shinkle

sorry about the delay. ive troublrshooted on this site for a couple yrs. never joined. i own a 91 520h with the big axle. beautiful tractor. lets me down every time i use it. i own a 64 654. that got me into horses. i grew up with that one. i also have a 418a,2-552 tractors a 675 hydro restored like new. a 1056 i think with a tiller. and thel eaking tractor. its a 65 i think short frame 8 hp. 6 speed. i have 4 or 5 parts tractors also. horses in north central indiana are pretty cheap if you keep your eye out for something red behind peoples sheds.

TT

Sounds like maybe a combination of excess blow-by and a plugged crankcase breather.

The crankcase pressure is taking the path of least resistance, so you need to get the hole sealed with something strong and permanent - like JB Weld - and make sure that the breather is clean and assembled correctly.

I can't recall of ever seeing any engines with a hole in that area, but I don't have ice skates - so I can't go out to the shop and check my older ones. :thumbs:

shinkle

Thanks. makes sense. Havent cleaned engine since i bought it 2 years ago. im sure the breather could use a cleaning.ive learned the hard way if its not broke dont fix it. by the way i went back to the barn and my restored tractor is an 875 not a 675 duh. the only one im working now is a 867 1966 first yr. for 6 spd. ive heard anyway the 875 has no hole and neather does my 2 k181s part engines i have on the shelf. when i bought this tractor in amish country it had 40 years of grass and grease on it and in it. 100 percent stock. cleaned up nice for original paint and decals. still has cig lighter like new works good. someone must have drilled this hole and put a roll pin or something in it. who knows why? ill get her pluggged. thanks again for the crank case suggestion. i wouldnt of messed with that till she stopped running. :thumbs:

KB9LOR

I too have a 867, first year of 6-speed, last of the short frames, got the plow too!

varosd

:thumbs:

JC 1965

Hello and :thumbs: Hope you get that hole plugged. I hate oil leaks. I have a 1978 K181-S and it doesn't have a hole there.

shinkle

I have no idea why someone would drill a hole there. that was the first 181 i owned so i didnt think about it till it started leaking. Itook the breather case advice and replaced the filter, really just a black glob of goo and used a piece of steel wool. runs alot better much more torque. thighting the carb and fuel pump also helped im sure the bolts on both were loose. the bolt i put in the hole just stops it from spitting but it still leaks. not to worried ill keep an eye on the dipstick. im thinking about going with a new complete gasket kit in the spring the crang bearing leaks a little too. i got a guy in my pocket that can weld cast perfect. so that will take care of the hole .just wanted to know if any model year had a hole for some reason. oor maybe it was some kind of service buillitin quick fix years ago for some problem it might of hsd when it was new. i bought a 94 honda magna new had it delivered to my house in january. march 1st i took it for its first ride and it was knocking. took it to the dealer and they said the cam housings had too much clearance. the bike had 4 cams. they drilled a 1mm. hole in all 4 cam saddles so more oil would go in the cam races stopping the knock. needless to say i was hot. make a long story short i sold the bike after a year and have never bought anything new since. except for a piece of crap craftsman riding mower in 95. thats another story. THANKS GUYS.