Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

C-160 Update

nylyon

There were lots of activities yesterday, Soccer, Mothers day, etc that I wasn't able to work on the C-160 at all, except for a little drive around the yard. Well, today I began the completion process with a couple of minor items.

1. Added connectors to the headlights and hooked them up (Works great!)

2. Fixed the PTO by adding a snap ring to the shaft and roll pin taking out the hair pins.

3. Bought new snap rings for the hitch which Mike brought over on Saturday.

I still need to run to TSC to pick up some International paint to paint up the hitch and what little is left. Also need to pick up some wheel paint and start to work on that as well.

No pictures today, but stay tuned.

DMESS

Sounds like your off to a good start Karl! :whistle:

If only TT would quit worrying about his name change and send you that lift arm. LOL

kj4kicks

Sounds good Karl ! Glad to see that you're digging right in !

Don't forget to pick up a tail light and mounting bolts while you're at TSC !

T-Mo

Karl,

It sounds like you're off to a good start. :whistle:

TT

If only TT would quit worrying about his name change and send you that lift arm. LOL

Dustin, Yeah. It's in the mail!

"Coach" Karl -- I sent a lift bar/good bushing/clip and the lift chain/eyebolt/trunnion out today.

That should be everything you need. (except for the shiny red paint) :WRS:

It's coming via Priority Mail, so you should probably see it Wednesday. :whistle:

nylyon

Thank you TT, I really appreciate it. It's a shame that the TSC store is pretty far away, but I should be able to get there this weekend to get the paint which should be just in time! I even bought a couple of new e-clips just in case :whistle:

I did a couple more things too which I will get pictures of, but later. Went back to the hardware store and bought a 1 1/2" chrome sink drain pipe. Cut off the flaired end and attached it to the muffler. At lease the exhaust is now exiting the tractor engine area, and you know what, it looks great, but the pipe needs to be bent. I may pack the whole thing onto the trailer and bring it to a muffler shop to bend the pipe properly. Still looking for an OEM muffler though.

Took it for a test drive and man does it sound great now!

Then went to the auto store and picked up some muffler clamps to clamp everything down tight. While I was there, I got a nice tail light. Looks just like the original except this one has 2 bulbs in it instead of just one. Still have to get the mounting hardware, that will be the next trip.

I am wondering if there's a charging problem. When I turned the lights on, the amp gauge goes down but increasing the throttle does not bring it up, so I'll have to do some testing on that.

I am having the time of my life with this! I LOVE IT, every minute of working on this is pure pleasure!

TT

Karl, I'm guessing you have a digital voltmeter of some sort, right?

I usually do a super-quick charging system check by connecting the leads directly to the battery terminals without the engine running. After you get that reading, start the engine and slowly open the throttle. If the battery voltage increases, it's charging. (I usually see readings around 13.5 to 13.9 VDC on a typical 15 amp Kohler alternator system - with a baseline "battery-only" voltage of 12.6 to 13.1 VDC.) These readings will vary with the battery condition, meter sensitivity, etc., but you should still see an increase regardless. :whistle:

I have a few more "sources" to check with about a muffler, and I know the last "list price" was around $95 for new OEM. :WRS:

Stigian

I am having the time of my life with this! I LOVE IT, every minute of working on this is pure pleasure!

Id say your quite enjoying yourself Karl :D:WRS:

The question is, when are the photo's appearing?

I want to see the chrome sink drain pipe muffler :whistle: :D

nylyon

Thanks Terry, I'll plan to test the voltage tomorrow, running out of time today, but I did get the taillight mounted up and working!

Ian, pictures to follow soon as I can, but I can say that once the sink drain is bent, everyone will want one!

WheelHorse_of_course

Hi Karl,

Glad you are having fun. :D

Does the amp meter stay + when the lights are on? Does it go back to 0 (center) with the engine off?

If so you should be fine.

It is useful to have both amps and volts which is why my spiffy instrument cluster has both :WRS:.

Tri T's voltage test should give you a pretty good idea if it is working.

Cheers :whistle:

Stigian

Ian, pictures to follow soon as I can, but I can say that once the sink drain is bent, everyone will want one!

A trend setter eh Karl? :WRS: :whistle:

nylyon

Here it is....

IM000021.jpg

IM000022-1.jpg

nylyon

Just tested the battery. I got 12.37 at stop, started it up and the meter was difficult to read, it fluctuated from 19 to 11 to 14 all over the place. I figured that could only mean one thing. Well, to Eldon's credit, the paint is sooooo good and sooooooo thick that the rectifier isn't getting a ground. I forced a ground and the meter showed a good charge. Can't fix it today, have to get my son to his Baseball game, but I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.

edit: Had a couple of minutes, rectifier bolts were loose, tightened them up and all is well, no charging issues at all! :whistle:

kj4kicks

:whistle:

... well, at least they were NEW bolts....

nylyon

I'm telling you, I am loving this! Really! I had hoped it would rain today so I could spend more time with this. As it is, I'm trying to figure out how to get to TSC earlier than the weekend.

kj4kicks

Speaking of bolts, I forgot to hand you the bolts to install the left side board. The carriage bolt for the front is 5/16" x 3/4". Cheaper for you to pick one up and paint it red than to send it to you.

Glad to see the progress. Can't wait until it's "avatar-worthy" :whistle:

TT

Had a couple of minutes, rectifier bolts were loose, tightened them up and all is well, no charging issues at all! :whistle:

Here he goes again! :D:D

Whenever I wire a tractor with an alternator-equipped Kohler "from scratch", I always run a dedicated ground wire directly from one of the R/R mounting bolts to a clean ground on the engine or the negative terminal on the battery.

It might sound like a wasted effort, but it is definitely a good "insurance poilicy" for the R/R. :WRS:

KyBlue

haha I'm in the same boat as you Karl, cant wait to do more and more tinkering... Yours is alot farther along than mine, im still sorting out the bugs!! I think Ive got charging issues too, but i'll get into those this weekend..

Its great to see you workin on your new acquisition and enjoying it immensely!

T-Mo

Thanks, Karl, for rubbing it in. :WRS: Here it's so nice out today and 3 horses in need of some tlc and here I am with one arm. :whistle:

Stigian

Oo-er, will you look at the pipe on that :D

1st class thinking there Karl :whistle: :WRS:

nylyon

Would this be what your looking for? Someone posted this here or maybe on MTF.

Great price.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=...catname=engines

If I recall, during one of the chats we discussed that muffler in great detail and the only problem with it is the 1 5/8 pipes. Ours are 1 1/2 which would then require adapters to work properly.

Although not OEM, that chrome exhaust is really growing on me. I'm looking into getting it bent properly then see how it looks. If it's good, I'll paint up the muffler and leave the chrome pipe on there.

nylyon

Nothing new today, just a picture and movie :whistle:

IM000025.jpg

th_IM000023.jpg

Brittany has adjusted quite well to the loss of the C-120 and Electro, don't you think?

DMESS

From the smile on that face (in the video) I'd assume you won't be getting much seat time on the 160!

T-Mo

Karl,

You can't tell it but I'm :whistle: ing. That tractor is sure a nice looking one. Looks like your daughter is smitten with it also. Too bad all I will have for the next few weeks is dial-up as I would love to watch that video. :WRS: