Sign in to follow this  
6wheeler

I wonder???

6wheeler

I wonder,(because I'm bored with nothing else to do) Because we here in Mn. have exceeded our yearly average snowfall. All of the local municipalities and the State of Mn. have run out of snow removal money, with a couple of months of winter yet. Are scrambling to find funds. It is all over the news, that they will have to restructure funding for next year. I wonder what those folks out east and in the north central areas are thinking about that. They, like us will probably increase funding---- and never need it again. That, I think is funny.

Sparky

Its all over the local TV news about how the towns and cities around here in Connecticut have allready burned thru the snow-removal budget.

Mike........

Gene_S

Sad thing is every year that buget keeps getting cut. Salt cost more and more every year and diesel prices are off the charts. Next thing you know the money will be gone before the snow even falls!!!

flyovrcntry

Please don't let thjis get political.Can you make that a rule? No politics on RS,please.

Gene_S

Please don't let thjis get political.Can you make that a rule? No politics on RS,please.

It is already... Read them :banghead:

"This forum is for Wheel Horse tractors, not for political discussions. There are a ton of things in the world, politics, oil prices, immigration and such, none of which involve Wheel Horse tractors. There are other forums for these discussions so if you need to discuss these items please find the appropriate forum to join."

If what I said bothered you... Sorry

flyovrcntry

It is already... Read them :banghead:

"This forum is for Wheel Horse tractors, not for political discussions. There are a ton of things in the world, politics, oil prices, immigration and such, none of which involve Wheel Horse tractors. There are other forums for these discussions so if you need to discuss these items please find the appropriate forum to join."

If what I said bothered you... Sorry

:thumbs: No thanks,I just hadn't seen that rule.I love this site for that rule.

Operator

Political :thumbs:

Ken B

Nothing political here, just facts of life eh. :thumbs: Sparky you are so correct, CT. Towns are currently flat broke.

mr.pipes

Most cities and towns underfund their snow removal budget. When they get in the red, they replenish it later in the year through supplemental budgets. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind the underfunding. I suspect it has to do with not wanting a surplus at the end of the year which may make it difficult to obtain funds the following year. I remember hearing of towns that had run out of money after the first three or four storms this year. In New England? Doesn't make sense to me but that is how they do it for some reason.

mavfreak

Pipes is correct, most government has a use it or lose it mentality. If they come in the end of season with money to spare they would get that much less the fallowing year. Stupid in my mind.

dkopp

Everybody was planning on "Global Warming".

hm12460

There certainly wont be any global warming in West Michigan next week.

stevebo

I deal with customers who are worried about the snow loads on the roofs (low slope roofing). Some of the schools are closed until all the snow is removed. Contractors out here are charing $75-$100 per man per hour. I was on a school roof ysterday with a crew of 29 guys for 7 hours. They got a lot done however only about 10-15% of the entire roof. You do the math... I have 3 jobs lined up next week for the same thing. If they need to find the money they will.

can whlvr

not only the towns budget,im sure a lot of people have used up there snow budget as well,if u pay by the cleaning i bet that its getting costly,and for the guys that do our own,gasoline costs are pretty high too

mr.pipes

not only the towns budget,im sure a lot of people have used up there snow budget as well,if u pay by the cleaning i bet that its getting costly,and for the guys that do our own,gasoline costs are pretty high too

I can't imagine if I had to pay a plow guy this year. And it's still not over. I have been in the WH dealer a few times and it's always been busy. They said they usually do 40 transactions a day at the parts counter. Lately they have been doing 180 a day.

VinsRJ

At the end of the day towns will just pass the cost onto the residents in some sort of fasion.

Snow budgets are based on probabilities, so if you string together a couple of winters with low snow falls the budgets are funded less. Not to mention when a town is already in a crisis they are going to fund police, fire and the school budgets prior to increasing winter snow removal budgets. You as a resident of a town need to stay informed on what next year's winter snow budget is..... becuase every Tom, **** and Harry is going to be making a case why they should be fully funded for next season. This winter is not reality.

As for paying cleaning crews for snow removal on roofs...... its not that they have the money, they can't afford the roof caving in on students.

I know a plow guy who set contracts with a flat seasonal rate. He's lost his shirt this winter. A home equity loan is paying his guys. Who would have thought it would be this bad. :thumbs:

6wheeler

Sorry guys if this seemed political. I really don't see how it could have been viewed that way but ok. I know my own snow removal budget has been taxed. I actually had to fuel up the skiddy again. I, just like the municipalities, had to borrow from another fund. D@#n, I had to hit the Busch Light fund :thumbs:. So now, as with all other trickle down effects. I would imagine, Anheuser Busch, will feel the effects as well. So, in an effort to keep the economy rolling. My wife and I had an emergency budget meeting. It was decided by a vote of 2 to 0, that monies would be cut from other funding (ie: food, education and medical ). So, as to help alleviate the stress incurred to said beer supplier. So, in effect the Busch Light fund has been completely restored :thumbs:. This move, should also relieve some of the pressure on the snow removal budget, as the children will not be eating, or going to school, or visiting the doctor. So, in effect. Since they have all this extra time on their hands, they should be able to shovel snow. So, now that the budget has been balanced, and tragedy averted :thumbs::thumbs:. Wait, now the kids want an emergency meeting. We will see if we can pencil them in about June sometime. MEETING ADJOURNED........... Pat

nylyon

:thumbs:

Operator

Pat You're just like big goverment :thumbs: take it away from the little people!

I'm going to e-mail you now.

Dresden Guy

Here's a thought. :thumbs:

This winter , me and another guy have cleared the sidewalks of our little village 3-4 times (10 blocks X 2 streets of sidewalks) plus the Municipal Building parking lot each time and neither of us want any pay for it. Don't tell anyone that we enjoy it!!

With the B&B business my wife and I have, I can usually get out during the winter days and plow for 2 - 4 hours at a time. I have used quite a bit of gas and two snow blade wear edges, but maybe it will keep some school kid or senior citizen (including myself) from falling. I had to buy a new muffler assy. for my C-160 last week (ouch!!), but I figured that's just the "cost of doing business".

Having not taken the time to get my C-160 lights working, I can't safely plow public areas after dark. The last snow I noticed that there were a couple of other guys with their garden tractors who started plowing village sidewalks that I couldn't get to. Maybe others will get the idea in our little, bordering-on-bankruptcy village and pitch in. I love the seat time!

I've had some people offer me money, but I tell them that other people in town have helped me out so many times and it's just a my way of everyone giving back. Who knows, if Congress sees little towns start WORKING TOGETHER :drool: , they may get the idea! What a concept!! :thumbs::thumbs:

I do understand that many larger towns and cities have miles of streets and thoroughfares requiring big, expensive equipment to clear the snow, but maybe our collective "Wheel Horse Fleet" can make a small difference. Just a thought! :drool:

Now let's all get around the campfire and sing Kum-Ba-Yah :thumbs: