Sign in to follow this  
VinsRJ

For Plow Guys Only

VinsRJ

So how are you guys fairing with a plow only? Now be honest, we already know the Wheel Horse tractor is the most capable machine on the face of the planet but........ Wish you had a snowblower attachment? :thumbs:

Or even maybe a walk behind blower :banghead:

I would think the mounds are starting to become an issue.

nylyon

I have a Toro walk behind 2-stage snow blower and a 42" Single stage blower which is usually hooked up to a 416-H and both of which are sitting in a snow bound shed. Now to the question. If we get a couple more like we have, I will have very little room to push it. I have resorted to pushing the mounds side to side in the driveway, and much of that is now solid ice. I am REALLY kicking myself for not (at the very least the walk behind) setting up a snow blower. This WILL be the last time I make that mistake, and a mistake it is.

zieg72

I am in the same situation as Karl. My 417-8 barely managed and if the neighbor wasn't out with his 523XI I'd still be out there. My blower is in a snow bound shed and my 269H is in an enclosed carport that the doors jam in the winter when the cracked concrete heaves. After this winter I will never let this happen again. Thinking real seriously about a smaller 4x4 with a plow as it was to much snow for my dad to clear with his 53 Jubilee/FEL and chains.

Brrly1

Kind of glad, I had a snow blower. I had to unbury it from the very back corner of the garage and then I had to put it on which I did and got the job done. Went back thru with the blade but it would have worked the tractor to death otherwise. With the ice that made the snow very heavy. C175 didn't much care for all of that. :banghead:

:thumbs:

stevebo

My plows 417-8 with suitcase weight downpressure and 520H are getting it done. I also have an old JC Pennies 8hp 28 inch walk behind that I have been using mainly to do the back yard (grass & hill). I only wish that I could get my Terramite loader/backhoe out of the back yard so I can use it to remove the mounts of snow :banghead: My first winter here on the hill is really getting the best of me :thumbs:

just me

plow is all i need in my neck of the woods. I wouldn't mind a blower for just in case but I think it would just sit in the corner and take up space. I can count maybe twice it would have been used i maybe 5 years and the plow worked for those times also

sgtsampay

I have the plow and blwoer both set-up on two different machiens and I have been using the blwoer about %75 of the time. Jsut to much snow for the plow and I'm now having trouble placing the snow with the blwoer. Man, when will the snow end?

rmaynard

Until the snow gets to 6", a plow is all I need. I do have a 24" walk-behind blower that I had to use when we were dumped on with 8" last week. After opening a path with the blower, I followed up with the 48" blade on the B-100.

Last year, I had to use the 24" walk-behind almost exclusively since the plow would not touch the 30" that came down in 24 hours.

Next winter, after the '76 B-100 is finished, I will have to get a blower for that one while keeping the blade on the other.

VinsRJ

I

SALTYWRIGHT

hi.........i have a plow on my 257-h and my gt-1800. i have a 12 h/p walk behind 2 stage blower that has done a good job so far. i can just push the snow across the street to the circle. but i don't need any more snow. russ

mavfreak

so far all I need is a plow. Knock on wood!

whfan74

Currently in my garage I have a C-85 with plow and a 312-8 with blower and cab. This past storm both of them were used. The C-85 is nice because it is much quicker with the plow, but this last storm that just blew through had the 312-8 out earning it's keep.

Personally, I prefer the plow over the single stage blower. I usually do about 5 or so driveways in the subdivision and the plow gets it done much quicker. I have been trying to be proactive and have pushed all the piles back in to the yards quite a distance to plan ahead for the next snow fall.

I feel for you guys who only have a plow with the amount of snow that has been falling in the past couple of weeks. Even though the blower is slow it hasn't stopped me yet........Clean up with the plow has been a breeze after the majority has been thrown out of the way.

refracman

A plow is all i need but then I have more than enough room to push it no matter how much gets dumped. The C160A does a fine job! If things get to bad I'll get the C195 loader out and push it father out.

I picked up a blower and cab for one of the others just to see if all the hoopla about them is true, but decided not to set it up.

Am I sorry I didnt? heck NO, I like plowin!

IthacaJeff

The plow has worked fine and has never let down. But, I've got lots of

room to push it and straight lines to plow. This winter we've been

in-between all the storms. . . places 50 miles north, east, south, and

west have had feet upon feet of snow. . .we've had a total of about

a foot all winter. Weird.

I've got a single stage blower I picked up last fall real cheap. Needs some

work, but I'll wait until summer. I got it mostly to blow snow for my kids,

that is, make a snow mountain to play on. We'll see how it works for that.

Jeff in Enfield, NY

Coadster32

I've just been plowing all this CT winter snow with my 854. I have to admit that this thing has been pushing like a champ. We had two good dumpings of 12 and 15inches, and it pushed it all. Running out of room, and hopefully will get some meltdown this weekend. :thumbs: I'd be in alot of trouble if I hadn't pushed the initial piles back as far as I did. :banghead:

hoser63

as much snow that we have i could use a spoon..

Kelly

I have both a plow tractor and blower tractor set up ready to go, but I mainly plow, unless we get 6" or more the blower is about useless, now when I start with the plow, I push it about 15' into the yard, that way I have room for more.

MalMac

I have been using a plow on a 520 from the get go this season untill this last storm. The drifts were not too high but what caused me trouble was the snow was heavy not as in wet heavy it was more like frozen heavy if that makes any sence. I had to take the 520 back to the barn and drag out the 2 stage and put it on. Today I finished up with another tractor with a plow on. I normaly just use a plow but the storm took it's toll on just using a plow.

pfrederi

I support the one of each crowd. I use the C-175 plow much more often. However when the snow fall is heavier or I start to get to much of a build up I plow it to one side of the driveway then bring out the 418A and blower. One pass finishes the job.

When it gets too much out come the bigger guns....

e759e0118079571.jpg

danjmah

I have both (plow and blower) but use the plow the majority of the time.

VinsRJ

Its interesting to read that the plow is the weapon of choice for most :thumbs: I would have thought with a moderate snow fall and the kind of winter we have been having the blower would be a more popular choice.

Trouty56

I really like to see the snow roll off the blade and feel the power. Maybe others like that feeling too. :thumbs:

pfrederi

Plowing is much much faster...3rd gear Snowblowing is slower (also very very wind dependent).

I would rather get done and get back inside!!

Lane Ranger

I like the snowplow for removing the snow and keeping the driveway accessible in winter.

The B-80 -3 peed with the 42 inch plow does a good job.

This year has been a real test and I like the rubber chains too!

100_9727.jpg

100_9726.jpg

100_9724.jpg

:thumbs:

HankB

I really like to see the snow roll off the blade and feel the power. Maybe others like that feeling too. :thumbs:

Yep. The faster you go, the better it rolls. The thing I like best about plowing is that I can plow at top speed. :thumbs: