Sign in to follow this  
bmwford94

condensor

bmwford94

my engine still does not run after using a helicoil to repair the spark plug hole, i took the block apart and cleaned it, also took the carb off and the float is also fine. I was told the condensor is the problem, only i have no idea what that is. Please help!

rmaynard

What engine do you have? Please post the spec number. Some K301's had electronic ignition with no condenser, but if yours uses a coil and points, the condenser should be mounted beside the coil. Little silver can with a wire coming out and going to the points (-) side of the coil.

C_2.jpg

Don1977

You will find it bolted to the front of the engine. 3/4" diameter alum. with one wire attached to the coil.

bmwford94

i found it thanks to the picture, thank you so much, i am going to see whats wrong with it if anything

bmwford94

there is no condensor, just points. I had the cover off, which is on the front of the engine and to the bottom left of the carbeurator. The engine is a k301 or 12hp. It has an electric start as well. Any suggestions on how to get the thing goign? thanks

Anglo Traction

As Bob mentioned, if you can tell us the Engine spec (may be 47421d) number and serial nbr, we should be able to help further.

can whlvr

u say u took the block off?maybe u mean u took the head off,if so u may have got some carbon down the valves,and is holding one open,did u take the head off to helicoil it,is the fuel pump pumping,take off the hose to the carb and turn it over,beware of shooting fuel,i use a peice of larger hose to a jar,is it getting spark,pull the plug and set it on top of engine hooked up to see if its getting spark,u n eed to tell us these things so we can help,good luck and keep us posted

bmwford94

well, i did not take off the head (not block, sorry) to do the heilicoil, but after i did the heilicoil i took it off to blow out the shavings and other gunk. I didn't check the fuel if its flowing yet, or the spark. I am going to check those things tomorrow, after i get my battery back from the charger. My dad is a mechanic so i'm learning small things a step at a time right now. We reset the points to what we read on a Kohler forum, which was .20, they were set at around .5 and it was very off. Once i get the battery i will keep you informed on what is happening and also try all the other things you suggested. Thank you very much!!

tmessenger

there is no condensor, just points. I had the cover off, which is on the front of the engine and to the bottom left of the carbeurator. The engine is a k301 or 12hp. It has an electric start as well. Any suggestions on how to get the thing goign? thanks

If you have a points ignition you need a condenser.

bmwford94

i got my battery back charged, i put it on and still no difference, it just doesnt start!!! The heilicoil is now again stripped pretty much making the head no good. There is gas flowing and all parts are moving. I even tried a different spark plug, i just dont know what to do anymore. The engine is soon going to be a headed for the scrap pile. any other suggestions?/

Sparky

i got my battery back charged, i put it on and still no difference, it just doesnt start!!! The heilicoil is now again stripped pretty much making the head no good. There is gas flowing and all parts are moving. I even tried a different spark plug, i just dont know what to do anymore. The engine is soon going to be a headed for the scrap pile. any other suggestions?/

I didnt see the part where you installed a new condensor :banghead: . It seems that your getting fuel right? So get us a picture of what you have including a description of the wiring. Its only been a day or two, way to early to be calling the scrap man.

Mike..........

Buzz

You stripped out the heli-coil? How did you manage to do that? What you should do now is pull the head and take it to an automotive machine shop and have them install a thread insert for the spark plug. It's better than a heli-coil and if it's a shop your Dad deals with as a mechanic, it shouldn't cost too much. While the head is off clean all the carbon off the piston and valves and make sure the valves are seating. Pay special attention to the intake valve, popping back through the carburetor is one of the signs of a burnt valve. Clean all the garbage out of the cylinder and valves before reinstalling the head and use a new head gasket. Install a NEW spark plug and CONDENSER and you'll be ready to start troubleshooting. Here's the Kohler service manual for your engine, it has a decent troubleshooting section:

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp_2379.pdf

Let us know how you make out.