Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

To Plow or not to plow

nylyon

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to plow snow

The slings and arrows of outrageous depths,

Or to take arms against a sea of ice,

And by opposing end them? To die: to clear the driveway;

Now that there is a break on the snow, do I plow in fear that there will be an ice coating, or do I wait for the ice, then clear the driveway? What are you guys doing with this one?

Be all my sins remember'd.

COMMANDO1

Be no fear, plow always.

may not be able to somedays.

B-8074

You could always set the hieght of the plow to leave some behind. :banghead: I don't know how much you got, but if you have alot and are expecting more it might be worth it.

jimbotelho

Karl I plowed the first round and will not unless we get another 6 or so in I think the coating of ice will be laying on the snow rather than a clean surface making it impossible to plow lots of salt will do the trick .Just my opinion! :banghead:

nylyon

That's where I'm leaning. I have the girls out there shoveling now, so the horse can take a break

stevasaurus

That's where I'm leaning. I have the girls out there shoveling now, so the horse can take a break

I bet you pay for that Karl. :thumbs: I'd leave a little snow for the ice to fall on. It is going to fall to single digits here after the snow. (Thursday) You guys could get the cold after the storm also. :banghead:

nylyon

Maybe but the driveway is cleared. 80% kid power, they needed to do some work. I did go out to the street and found one storm grate and cleaned that out so water has some place to go.

MalMac

As for my situation, I have to plow several times to keep the long drive open in the wind. keeps trying to blow shut. If I wait then I will have too tall a drifts to try and move. I have got a 2 stage but it's not ready for a gravel drive. I can use the FEL but as previous experience tells me that waiting till the drifts get 3 to 5ft. high than it's alot of work. So plowing 2 to 3 times ends up being less wear and tear and actually use alot less fuel. Plus the tractor with the plow has a cab and the one with the Ark on it, well lets just say it's a COLD adventure.

zieg72

Just got in, plowed about 3 inches plus the 8-9 inch drifts. Blowing pretty good here in NW Indiana. If I wait till it gets any deeper I am afraid I can't push the 64" plow and may have to put the 48" back on.

JimD

I woke up to 6 inches of heavy wet snow this morning. Plowed it after work this evening. The freezing rain is slated to begin tonight through tomorrow sporadically. I had to plow to get the vehicles in and out for work, and I hope the forecast is correct on the 1/2 inch of ice they're calling for. I know some places have already had more than that. Good luck everyone, it's still moving toward us all.

Lane Ranger

No need for plowing here!

As much ice as we are getting here in Greencastle -I could pull a manure spreader full of Morton Rock Salt and still not get the drive clean!!!

100_9678.jpg

100_9676.jpg

100_9668.jpg

100_9666.jpg

:banghead:

Sparky

I got home and my 15 year old had cleared the driveway so the decision was allready made for me. Its real nice to come home at night to a freshly cleared driveway :banghead: .

Mike.......

Rollerman

The system started in on my area around 4 PM today.

I went ahead & put the chains & weight on my 416....hadn't needed them yet.

Looks like a busy day pushing snow tommorrow here.

flyovrcntry

T'is the night before plowing

and snow's hitting the ground

The tractor is ready,

but the wind knocks me down

I will wait till morning,

but if it still blows,

I will don the carharts

and beat that damn snow

Kelly

It's snowing pretty good here, with 40+ MPH winds, they are saying pushing 20" by day break, I gassed up both the plow and blower tractors, put new idle sprockets on the blower, adjusted the PTO, and hooked up the batt. tenders, I should be ready in the morning.