Sign in to follow this  
B-8074

Need some input

B-8074

My C-175 KT-17 is starting to blow a good bit of blue smoke at start up. It's a 1st gen. motor. Keep in mind that I plan on running this old girl till one of us can't be fixed anymore. Which should be along time seeing that I am 38 yrs. old. My question to all of you is what would you do for a replacement? I pretty sure I don't want to rebuild the original seeing that it it not pressure lubricaited. I'm thinking, more horse power or a diesel.

repairman
http://www.vanguardengines.com/ I have been thinking of these engines due to size and function good k-series replacement without a lot of modification. :banghead:

I too thought of a v-twin Vanguard for my B-80 resto but decided to hold off because I heard rumors that the current production models where not as good as they were a decade ago. I've been trying to figure out if that's a bunch of crap or not. In the mean time I just decided on a Harbor Freight 13hp, but thats a step down from where you're at.

B-8074

I don't know what I'm gonna do. I replaced the breather filter and gaskets. Pulled the plugs, they looked good so I cleaned them off and regapped them. She still smokes at start up, but not near as much. And now she runs better than ever. :thumbs:

Kelly

just keep looking for a replacment, and top the oil off, it will probably last a long time.

Giles

I don't know what I'm gonna do. I replaced the breather filter and gaskets. Pulled the plugs, they looked good so I cleaned them off and regapped them. She still smokes at start up, but not near as much. And now she runs better than ever. :thumbs:

I don't like a smoking engine in anyhing. However --you can buy a LOT of quality oil for the price of a rebuild or another engine. If it starts ok and there are no other problems I would just work it.

Duff

I don't like a smoking engine in anyhing. However --you can buy a LOT of quality oil for the price of a rebuild or another engine. If it starts ok and there are no other problems I would just work it.

I agree with the others - keep an eye on the oil level, but keep right on working the tractor. I've got a 1994 green tractor :thumbs: that's got about 3,000 hours on the original Kohler engine. She blows some blue smoke at start up and has for the past four or five years, but she keeps running beautifully and actually only uses about a half a quart of oil per season

Duff :thumbs: