Sign in to follow this  
jsmay

snow/dozer blade 260 series

jsmay

Hey Everyone, I have a 265H tractor.. I would like to find a blade for snow... I know they were made, my real question is can this tractor handle the work...I know these aren't a heavy duty as the older tractors. I like the tractor and it cuts great, plus I bought it new, which helps. So I don't want to abuse it, I have a narrow driveway.. kinda long but its only 1 car wide for 90 % of it.. then 2 1/2 at the very top. Anyway, I'd love to get a plow so any info, suggestions would be awesome.

thank you, jason

wh500special

Jason,

I don't know the model numbers off hand, but there was a 48" blade available for the 260 series. It is NOT the same A-frame as the larger garden tractors, although at first glance they do look the same. The rear section on the A-frame for your tractor is extended with some lightweight channel and the lift points are different.

New Holland/Ford "LS" tractors use the same blade. They painted their version black.

I haven't seen many 260 blades here, on eBay, or otherwise. they pop up once in a while and are probably mistakenly bought by people thinking they will fit a "regular" Wheel Horse or - specifically - a model 520H.

You'll also need the rear hitch parts which were packaged with the blade and/or tiller. Hens teeth or expensive.

I am a HUGE fan of the vertical shaft tractors WH offered, and the 260 was one of the best. But they do tend to have fairly lightweight transaxles in them and I have run across many nice tractors with blown rears. I would guess it's their most frequent failure since the rest of the machine is actually way overkill for typical lawn tractor duty. Seems like the earlier models faired worst.

I have a 264H and love it. Also have an NOS tiller for the thing. But I'd never seriously consider putting a snow blade on it unless I can find a replacement transaxle as an insurance policy.

What you need is another tractor! Something you can beat the snot out of rather than the machine you bought new with your hard-earned money. I don't think the blade would be a good investment from a durability standpoint.

You might look for a thrower though. They aren't quite as brutal on the transaxle. The model for the 260 AND the 240 series will fit. i think there is an NOS one on eBay in Walkerton, IN right now. I'll PM you the link.

I know there are a handful of guys on here that have 260's and I'd imagine we're all pretty happy with them. I think I recall Zieg liking his. But - in my opinion - a snow blade is just too much load for one of them unless you can promise yourself not to bust thru snowbanks and use it as a bulldozer. Perhaps skip the wheel weights to minimize traction.

Sorry to be a party pooper.

Steve

jsmay

no prob. thank you for an honest opinon! I don't want to ruin the tractor. I actually might be trading it for a 418-8 with a blade on it.. seems to be a good machine has a nice plow and I'm sure it can handle the abuse...

thank you!

jason

jsmay

i did come up with a part # 79253 is the snow blade for me.....

thanks guy's. If i find one I think I'll take my chances.. no crazy snow plowing here....just 1 or 2 passes. I will try to do it with out chains and weights though, little tire spin never hurt.

zieg72

Don't under estimate the 260 series. My 269H has done a fine job for the going on 15 years I have owned it. I have a 42 inch snow thrower attachment for mine and it works great so it should plow fine if you can locate one. There was one on our classifieds but it was from what I believe a fly by member who didn't return my PM when I contacted him about it.

jsmay

damn, that sucks! Why do they list if they don't wanna sell. I actually found a plow this evening for a 240 tractor..but its missing the angle handle and also the back mount. Its basically the same plow and frame... may need a little adjustment to fit the back proper but for the $$$ they were askin..I'm gonna pass. Maybe I'll check back in with the owners in spring time. They are at premium right now in the northeast.

well if anything else shakes up...or if anyone has any leads... please let me know.

thanks again and i can't believe how much I have learned today pokin around here on this site!

jason

zieg72

damn, that sucks! Why do they list if they don't wanna sell. I actually found a plow this evening for a 240 tractor..but its missing the angle handle and also the back mount. Its basically the same plow and frame... may need a little adjustment to fit the back proper but for the $$$ they were askin..I'm gonna pass. Maybe I'll check back in with the owners in spring time. They are at premium right now in the northeast.

well if anything else shakes up...or if anyone has any leads... please let me know.

thanks again and i can't believe how much I have learned today pokin around here on this site!

jason

Jason, you will not find a nicer bunch of helpful guys anywhere on any forum. I will keep my eye out for a plow for your 265H and let you know if I find one.

can whlvr

im not positive but in the for sale there was a blower to fit the 200 series,was brand new

zieg72

im not positive but in the for sale there was a blower to fit the 200 series,was brand new

There still is, Scott whfan74 in Warsaw, IN has one for sale. I don't know if it will fit the 260 series but the price is right.

TT

:thumbs: , Jason!

I sent you a PM. :banghead: