Sign in to follow this  
JUSS10

diesel engine question

JUSS10

so a while back i put an ad on CL for a single cylinder diesel engine to throw in one of my tractors. just got a diesel car and i guess i got "diesel fever" anyway, never got anything for quite a few weeks, then yesterday i got a call from a guy that said he has a wisconsin diesel 9.4HP no leaks everything runs great and it even uses a starter generator type setup to run for $300. i guess my question is 1) does anyone know anything about this motor and how it compares size wise (physical size) to a kohler? and 2) is that a fair price for a small diesel engine? i was looking for one to put in one of my round hoods but I'm thinking this may be to large, i have a GT-14 that i would probably drop it in then sell the 341 thats in it. thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Justin

TT

It's probably one of these:

Robin DY42

If it is, it's basically the same thing that was used on the Wheel Horse 512-D and shouldn't be too hard to install on a similar model. I really don't see it fitting on a round hood - unless you leave the round hood part off. :banghead:

JUSS10

any thoughts on price?

JUSS10

oh, and the guy said its an italian motor that was sold as a wisconsin

can whlvr

just a thought,i know its hard to keep something that u are not using,but if u can i would keep that 341 around just in case,might blow an engine,come across another horse that needs another motor u never know

SALTYWRIGHT

HI.........I PUT A DIESEL 10 HORSE POWER IN MY 417-8. I DID NOT HAVE TO CUT HOOD OR ANY THING ELSE. IT WAS A VERY GOOD SWAP. IT IS A CHARLES STREAM DIESEL. IT HAS MORE POWER THAN THE 17 H/P I TOOK OUT. IT USES LESS THAN 1/3 THE FUEL. MINE IS ELECTRIC START AND I STARTED IT AT 10 DEG. I WAS CAPT. ON MANY BOATS WITH DIESEL ENGINES.(TWIN 860 H/P). IF YOU WANT PICTURES I WILL E-MAIL THEM TO YOU. WHERE THE TANK WAS I PUT 2 GARDEN TRACTOR BATTERYS. RUSS

tmessenger

You can get a new Robin 10hp diesel at Amazon.com for $660 delivered, what's the guy asking for the used one ?

JUSS10

$300

rwilson

Italian motor?? Lombardini??

JUSS10

that would be my guess

wheelhorse656

id take it! especially if it runs good and nothing is wrong thats better than $660! :banghead:

baerpath

I would check and see if it is a lambrigini first. Kohler bought them and most parts are avaliable though Kohler if so. I have two 18hp lambri twins nice little engines. Tons of torque

Duane

6wheeler

I agree with Duane, find out what it is first. $300.00 is a good price, but doesn't do you much good if you can't find parts for it. Northern has Hatz diesel engines that look like they will bolt right in, but they are spendy. Let us know if you do it, I'd be interested to change mine out if it works. Pat

JUSS10

alright, i called the guy back today to get a bit more info. its a ducati s111 engine. it uses a bosch starter generator so i would assume thats the same or similar to the ones on my k181's and i got a few spare parts left from those. he said the only thing its missing is the air cleaner. otherwise its all there. no oil or fuel leaks and fires right up.

does anyone know about these ducati engines? i almost want to buy it just so i can say i have a ducati powered tractor. he said they were used in older Bolens tractors, so maybe parts could be around? thoughts?

TT

Looks like it's a Wisconsin WD1-430/ Ducati IS-11 ( :banghead: GOOGLE)

I don't know about the Bolens usage, but they seem to have been quite popular in marine applications.... as engines on lifeboats. :thumbs:

Apparently quite a few of them had tapered PTO ends on the crankshaft, so you might want to look for that first.

The Bosch starter wouldn't be anything like the one on a Kohler, and it sounds like parts are basically impossible to find.

JUSS10

yeah maybe i should walk on this one. darn, i was getting excited.

dkopp

I'd love to get my hands on one of these and drop it into my horse.

25LD330-2.gif

massey

Has anyone tried one of the Chinese knock-offs in a project yet? I kicking around my next project and am thinking of making it diesel powered.

fireman

Saltywright put a 10hp diesel in his. The thing is incredible.

IMG_4324.jpg

WheelHorse_of_course

. he said the only thing its missing is the air cleaner.

That statement scares the he$$ out of me.

Has it been used without the air filter?

I am just saying...

:thumbs: :banghead:

wheelhorse656

:banghead: i bet that thing sounds like a beast!!!

JUSS10

i dont know if he's used it without the air cleaner. i'm wondering if its worth even looking into with the parts being so hard to find. i guess if something happens to it i could always sell it off for parts but man, tough decision

WheelHorse_of_course

i dont know if he's used it without the air cleaner. i'm wondering if its worth even looking into with the parts being so hard to find. i guess if something happens to it i could always sell it off for parts but man, tough decision

Maybe just tell him your concerns and offer him $150 and see what he counter offers.

You won't need ignition or carb parts in any case!

JUSS10

got a call from the guy with the engine. he told me to look at this on ebay, this is the same engine just he said his is bigger.

No links to e-bay auctions except your own

SALTYWRIGHT

THE AIR CLEANER IS ON MY DIESEL MOTOR. IT HAS BEEN A VERY GOOD SET UP.

I STARTED IT AT 10 DEG. IN JANURDAY. I HAVE PLOWED SNOW WITH IT. IT HAS MORE POWER THAN A 24 H/P GAS MOTOR AND MUCH LESS FUEL. RUSS