Sign in to follow this  
clintonnut

Feeling like a total idiot...

clintonnut

I am going to post pictures of this damage next week :ROTF: I hope there is not much damage.

So,

Today I decided to take a dormant K301 that we rebuilt and for some reason the connecting rod bolts decided to take a walk and that damaged both the rod and crank. I had a generator crank with a nice journal that I figured I could cut a keyway in and use the rod off the 1277 that I replaced but actually looked fine in this dormant k301 to get it running again. Well the rod would not seat against the crank making me realize that it was a .010 rod! I put a STANDARD back in the 1277! :thumbs: The rod out of the 1277 is 45-067-02 and by looking that up it is indeed .010 :banghead:

I am going to take the K301 that is on the 1277 apart next weekend and report the damage. It had a rod knock as soon as I started it for the first time with the standard rod and I just ignored it thinking the crank was worn and would deal with a crank grind in the spring. Now there is about 3 hours on this engine.

UGH!

Charlie

KB9LOR

We all do crazy things, but have not done anything that bad.............yet! I know my turn will come... :banghead:

clintonnut

I guess i got lucky on the crank... Crank journal looked fine but rod had weird wear patterns. Will put back together tomorrow with correct rod

If you look at the block webbing in this photo you can kinda see a decent sized chunk missing from the cylinder wall. My guess is a rod let go due to low oil and engine was completely overhauled with .030 piston, rod and turned crank.

0599aac9.jpg

076793b3.jpg

All was well til starter generator rolled off the work bench an crushed the regulator pretty good. Lots of swearing.... I straightened it out pretty good just hope it still works.

Charlie

clintonnut

Got lucky. Put old rod in no knocks and runs excellent!