Sign in to follow this  
cliff6

Help with C-81 snow thrower attachment

cliff6

I have a '78 C-81 Wheel horse tractor. I'm trying to attach the snowthrower, buy I can't figure out how to attach it to the front of the tractor. It looks like I should remove something on front of tractor, but not exactly sure what or how. I'm sure I could eventually figure it out, but it would be so much easier to see one already attached. Does anyone have any close up pictures of the snow thrower attached?

Thanks in advance :banghead:

Sparky

Heres the other thread on hooking up the lifting pieces for the blower. I dont have any good pics of the front hookup but it just snaps into the front attach-a-matic like the mower deck mule drive( assuming you have a deck for your tractor).

Mike..........

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=5810

Sparky

You didnt mention what model snowblower you have :banghead: . Could you post the model number off it as not all WH blowers fit all WH tractors.

Mike........

cliff6

After some searching, I've discovered the front hitch is covered by the pulley cover (I think that's what it is - the piece with the black knob on it that tightens or loosens belT). How to remove?

dgjks6

That is the front mule drive. It goes with the deck and comes off when you take off the deck. You need to push in the rod on the side and the entire mule drive will come off. I'll see if I can find some pictures.

cliff6

Thanks - will try tomorrow

varosd

:banghead:

And if you have never taken the muledrive off..take care! It is heavier than it looks and caught me by surprise the first time I took mine off!

Sparky

The model number you sent me off your blower, 86-42ST01 , will fit your tractor so there should be no issues there. Likes been said, remove the mule drive and belt off the front and the blower attaches right in the same spot. You will need to have the snowblower lift rod and flag as well. How to hook up the rod and flag is in the two links I posted above. Hopefully you recieved those parts with the blower.

Mike.......

cliff6

Thank you all for your help so far. Got snowblower attached. 2 spacers at end of lift tube into lift rod assy. Lift rod assy attached to highest hole on the bellcrank. Can't get snowthrower bucket to lift. Any suggestions?

TT

Can't get snowthrower bucket to lift. Any suggestions?

Is the "flag" attached to the "top" hole (closest to the lift lever shaft) in the lift lever arm that points down?

If you somehow managed to hook it to the arm pointing forward, it won't lift. :banghead:

cliff6

I attached it to the 3rd hole up on the lever pointing down.

cliff6

Does anyone have a schematic of lift linkage assy?

TT

The information you should need is in the topics that are linked to in the posts above.

Here is the parts drawing: LINK

I looked at my operation & service manual and there's nothing in it that isn't already posted here at RedSquare.

The throwers are very heavy and require some effort to lift. Unless something is caught or broken on the tractor, you might just need to pull harder on the lift lever.

cliff6

I did not purchase spring and eyebolt to connect to frame. I was told it wasn't necessary - it would just be harder to lift. Could this be the problem?

dgjks6

You need the spring to lift it. Without it it will be very heavy. And be careful, I have a c-85 with a bent lift arm, which I suspect is from trying to lift without a spring.

DSCF3017.jpg

TT

The spring is not necessary to lift the blower - it just makes it easier on the operator.

I had a "springless" thrower on a '73 12 / 8 speed one whole season and never had a single problem with the lift lever bending or latching.

Kelly

Used mine for 2 years with no helper spring, just after a hour or so of lifting it, I thought MY arm was going to fall off.

Sparky

Any chance you could post a pic of how its hooked up? Like the others said the spring is an option to make it easier but is not required to have the blower lift.

Mike.......

varosd

mine is the 06-42ST04 (early to mid 80's) and no assist spring. not sure why it was phased out. You mean the attachment doesnt even come up at all or just hard to manhandle? ? Mine comes up 5 inchs or so with just a little more effort than the 36 RD deck. Pictures if possible!

cliff6

Well all, I fixed it. It seemed like the lift tube wasn't long enough even though there were no signs it had been cut. I went out to the hardware store and picked up 3 spacers about 3/4" in length, stacked them on the link rod along with 4 washers. Works like a charm! Has anyone ever heard of something like this? Will send pics tmoro. What an ordeal. Thanks to everyone for your help :banghead:

Sparky

You might have a lift rod that was used on a shorter tractor (known as a short frame tractor :thumbs: ) which would make it about 2" shorter.

Glad to hear its all set :banghead: .

Mike......