Sign in to follow this  
mr.pipes

How to start an engine

mr.pipes

I have a engine that has been sitting a while I want to get going but do not want to turn it over to long with no lube if it wont fire. Should I put oil or Mystery oil in the plug hole first? If so, about how much and how long should it sit to spreadout? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

VinsRJ

From my experiences so long as the motor is not locked up and you have spark you should be ok. I do like to put a tablespoon or so full of motor oil into the spark plug hole and turn the motor over a few times with the spark plug out. From there make sure its got the correct amount of clean engine oil and fresh gas.

stevasaurus

I agree with Vince on what he said. Also, I think the manual says crank at half throttle. :banghead:

Indy w h

You might want to clean the carb also

Indy

JC 1965

I have a engine that has been sitting a while I want to get going but do not want to turn it over to long with no lube if it wont fire. Should I put oil or Mystery oil in the plug hole first? If so, about how much and how long should it sit to spreadout? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

did you check to see if you are getting gas to the carburetor? may sound dumb but sometimes the small things are the ones that drive you crazy.

mr.pipes

Cleaned tank, new lines and filter, cleaned carb.

Kelly

Me if it has sat for a few years, I spray PB blaster in the spark plug hole, put the tube in so you get oil on the piston, dumping oil in the plug hole unless you put a fair amount in, will just wet the valves down with oil.

stevasaurus

Kelly makes a good point...any penetrating oil will work...WD-40 is not really a penetrating oil though...just so you know...it is a water displacement fluid. Although WD-40 may still work for what you have, it is really not a penetrating oil. A 3 in 1 oil is OK...but like Kelly was saying...it is better to be able to spray it in the cylinder. :banghead: