Sign in to follow this  
harleyjj

same hub came loose again!!!

harleyjj

:banghead: The left hub came loose on my C111 again last night while pushing snow! :thumbs: Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening???

Don1977

Turn it 90 degrees have a new key way broached in it add another set screw on that new key way. Put it back together with two new set screws. And while your at it add another set screw to the other hub at 90 degrees from the key way.

I forgot, add a new key to the loose hub.

Once it get loose it will ware the hub first then when it get loose enough it will ware the axle key way. I caught mine before it did any damage to the axle and had it keyed.

Check your's out if every thing still fits tight on a new key just add a new set screws.

I would recommend you add the second set screws at 90 degrees if your does not have them.

harleyjj

wouldn't it be less expensive to just buy a new hub?

Anglo Traction

Hi Harleyjj,

When you say it came loose, do you mean that it moved in towards the Tranny? , or the Hub is loose on the Axle Shaft and keyway and rocks back and forth?. If it worked loose because the Setscrew came undone, then it may be worth replacing the Woodruff Keys and lightly countersink the point where the Setscrew's serrations bite in to the Keys.

Apply some Threadlock to the Setscrews. If it does it again, then think about adding more Keyways and Setscrews.

B-8074

It's cheaper to add another set screw to the hub than it is to replace it. Plus you will be better off with two set screws in each hub anyway. It spreads out the stress on the hub.

harleyjj

by came loose I mean that the hub slid in on the axle against the trans case. Set screw seems tight so I will try replacing the woodruff key and see what happens. We are supposed to get 3" of snow tonight so i am looking for a quick fix for tonight. I will look into drilling and tapping for a second set screw as soon as time permits though!

Kelly

Is the hub tight on the shaft? with the set screw backed out, if the hub wiggles on the axle it will keep coming loose, then you need a hub, the hub should take some pressure to move it on the axle.

pfrederi

Get a new set screw. I will bet the tip of yours is smashed flat. It should have a cup shaped depression in the center. Should leave a neat O shaped ring cut into the woodruff key.

harleyjj

Kelly, the hub just slides on the axle. Where is the best place to buy a new hub?

harleyjj

anyone have the part number handy?

rmaynard

Unless the hubs are wobbling, I would take them off, drill and tap a 3/8-16 hole at 90 degrees from the original set screw. Install a grade 8 bolt and torque it to 28 to 32 ft. lbs.

Torque the original screw to the same setting and snug up the lock nut. It should not move after that.

This is the fix that Wheel Horse dealers were instructed to do if this problem occurred before the onset of new dual set screw hubs.

rmaynard

Part number 105763-03, about $52.00 each new.

Raider12

Part number 105763-03, about $52.00 each new.

Correct me if Im wrong, but I believe a "new" hub will come with 2 set screws allready in it. It was updated sometime ago?

just me

I had this problem also. found that the threads were bad in the hub. I could torque it to 30 lb but still worked lose. I put a new set screw and taped threads in the hub and haven't had a issue yet.

harleyjj

well I tightened up the hub last night expecting to test it out this morning in the 3" of fresh snow we got over night. Unfortunately the guy who plows my store parking lot couldnt manage to drag his arse out of bed early enough and called me in a panic saying he couldn't plow the lot today. (3rd time this season!) So I had to rush into the dealership and clear my lot. Guess I'll try the fix out tonight when I go home.

Thanks for the part number I definately need to replace that hub and will order one this week!