Sign in to follow this  
mr.pipes

Is It Synthetic ?

mr.pipes

I have a new to me tractor with an eaton 11. I want to flush with clean fluid and refill. I have always been under the impression that if an engine had synthetic it is not good to switch to regular oil. Is there anyway to tell whats in it now without any history on the tractor? I would like to run synthetic but I am out of work right now and can't bring myself to throw $25 worth of possibly good synthetic oil away. I could stomach doing it with regular oil. When people do this, when do you install the new filter? On the final fill or after the initial drain? If what comes out the first time looks good should I not even bother? It looks pretty clean now with no smell. It only has 600 hours but it is a nice machine I plan to have for a long time. (see avatar) Any tips on what you may have done would be appreciated. Thanks, Geoff

theoldwizard1

I have always been under the impression that if an engine had synthetic it is not good to switch to regular oil.

The theory behind that was that switching to synthetic would draw the oil out of the seals and gaskets causing them to leak. I don't know if this is true or not.

If you can't afford synthetic, how about a blend ?

Operator

We need Horsefixer on this to be sure , but I run Amzoil in my trucks and it says you can switch back and forth from Dino oil and Synth. oil with no problem. My dealer here said the same thing.

Clarkbug

If you are just trying to flush before you put a final fill, you can use conventional regardless of if you intend to move to synthetic for your final fill/daily use. Getting the conventional oil good and warm would pick up any of the particulates and other sludge that you want it to, and then you can drain it out.

I would think that you would want to get new filters, one for the flush and then another for the final.

Just my .02

mr.pipes

I kind of thought that would be the best thing to do but I have become a lot more frugal being short on cash. How long should I run it for with the flush fluid in it?

B-8074

I run them till they are good and warmed up when I flush them. Normaly about 15 min. or so.

mr.pipes

I did a good amount of research since I posted this question. The general consensus is that when synthetics were new, there were some issues. Most people now are saying switch back and forth, mix it, drink it, it doesn't harm anything.

I asked a Toro/Wheelhorse dealer about fluids when I was getting some parts today. I have great respect for this guy and take his word as gospel. He has been a dealer since the early 60's I think from conversations I had with his son who was my teacher.

He said if I put synthetic in the hydro and ever switch back to conventional, it will start to use oil. :banghead:

He was busy as every one else in town comes in at 11:45 a.m. on Saturdays.

So I didn't ask him to elaborate and can't understand why it would begin to use oil.

Where would it go?

I never expected this answer.

Guess I need to go back when it's not so busy and talk more with him.

Operator

Se that is the early thinking on the syn. oil. I don't think the same goes for now.

Horsefixer where are you?

Clarkbug

I did a good amount of research since I posted this question. The general consensus is that when synthetics were new, there were some issues. Most people now are saying switch back and forth, mix it, drink it, it doesn't harm anything.

I asked a Toro/Wheelhorse dealer about fluids when I was getting some parts today. I have great respect for this guy and take his word as gospel. He has been a dealer since the early 60's I think from conversations I had with his son who was my teacher.

He said if I put synthetic in the hydro and ever switch back to conventional, it will start to use oil. :banghead:

He was busy as every one else in town comes in at 11:45 a.m. on Saturdays.

So I didn't ask him to elaborate and can't understand why it would begin to use oil.

Where would it go?

I never expected this answer.

Guess I need to go back when it's not so busy and talk more with him.

I would agree that this was the earlier thinking on synthetic oils.

Even if this were still the case, you would only be using conventional oil in the hydro long enough to flush it, correct? Its sort of the same idea as running kero in the rear end of an 8 speed for a few minutes to flush it out.

If it were mine, I wouldnt hesitate to put the conventional oil in for a flush and then a final fill with synthetic. Definitely dont spend the $ for a "flush fill" of synthetic oil.

I know you said you have a lot of respect for the dealer, and he may be right, but perhaps he meant for a long term fill, and didnt realize you just meant a flush?