Sign in to follow this  
JC 1965

Replacing Oil Pan Gasket?

JC 1965

The oil pan gasket on my 1979 C81 is leaking.

Do you recommend using a gasket sealer? If so, what kind?

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

This is my first post, I have received a lot of information from this forum, and it is much appreciated.

just me

I'm guessing this is a Kohler 8hp. You can get a gasget for this. And it is really esey to change, by removing the engine and then sepertaing the pan from the bottom and relpaceing gasget

rmaynard

Remove the pan, clean both surfaces and install a new gasket. No need for sealer. Torque to the correct specs.

Bob

JC 1965

Yes, it is a kholer 8HP.

Thanks for the help! I have already purchased the gasket, I just didn't know if i needed to use a sealer or not!

I knew i could find an answer here! thanks again.

:banghead:

just me

no sealer needed but you can add a small dab in two or three places to hold in place while putting back in place

VinsRJ

I personally like to give both surfaces (block & pan) a very light coat of sealer. Torque to spec and let cure for 12-24 hours prior to filling with oil and running.

just me

in my opinion not that it matters much but if you apply sealer to both sides of the gasket especial if it cork or paper then you defeat the purpose of the gasket. For example, once the oil starts to be absorbed by the gasket then it gasket starts to swell which in turn seals even more. If there is a RTV or sealer on the gasket then it does not get to do this and you rely solely on the RTV to seal it.

JC 1965

I have "permatex super 300 form-A-gasket sealant". If I decide to use a sealer, would this one be okay to use?

thanks for your help!

:banghead:

just me

yes