Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

Snow Thrower Chute Won't Stay Put!

mattd860

The thrower chute will not stay put when throwing snow - it always tries to center itself. When I bought the thrower, there was no tension spring on the chute angle lever. So last week I purchased a brand new TORO spring and washers which stiffened up the handle a little bit but the darn chute still wants to center itself when throwing snow!!!!

Am I missing something here? According to the diagram, I have all the necessary parts installed :banghead:

defed

i think they all do that. the blowers on my D-160 and C-195 do it. so does the larger 5' 3pt model on my JD compact.

i have tried to snug the bolts that hold the chute on, it helps, but then it's harder to turn w/ the crank. i bet a hydraulic/electric chute turner would fix it!

MaineDad

tall chute or short chute?

mattd860

Short Chute.

I would imagin the tall chute stays put since it's gear driven.

118lfd

Short Chute.

I would imagin the tall chute stays put since it's gear driven.

Nope, my tall chute tries its best to go straight all the time.

varosd

My short chute ST does the same thing at times...it seems that the drier the snow, the more it shoots were you aim it. but with the wet stuff, it sometimes wants to shoot staight ahead. I tend to keep making micro adjustments as I go down the driveway so it's not a big deal. speaking of wet snow...it is coming down here in Central PA!!! I got extra gas (Supper octane) and a spare belt!

TT

The chute on mine has always tried to return back to center when fully loaded. It has to do with the way the snow comes up through the hole in the housing and the slight forward inclination of the chute.

Yeah..... it's snowing up here in central central PA too. I have a few tractors ready to go, and a bunch more that aren't. :banghead:

Ken B

Matt your thrower is junk, you need to get rid of it. I can make it to your place lickity split. :banghead:

WheelHorse_of_course

Here in DC/No.VA the stuff is HEAVY. I put the blade and chains on early afternoon before it started up again. At about 5 PM we had 3" or so. I went out for an hour and did my driveway and the street (about 300 yards I would guess.

By the time I was done there was another 3" in the driveway.

I'll go out again once it stops and do my drive and see what I can do for the neighbor.

Perhaps I should have put the blower on, but this stuff is really heavy so perhaps the plow was a better choice.... :ROTF::banghead:

Power has blipped off twice so far. It may be a long night!

Have fun everybody.

:hide: :thumbs:

can whlvr

i made my own cab and put a longer handle on the blower,i made it fit tight against the crossbar so it wont head towards the middle

mrocket49

Mine does that too and with the hydro, It's hard to keep adjusting the handle while also using the hydro control.

I take a cloth-covered bungee cord and attach one end to the side of the tractor around the PTO, then wrap the bungee 3 or 4 times around the rod for the shoot and attach the other end back to the tractor. Make sure the bungee is tight and it does a pretty good job of keeping the shoot where you want it, except for the heavy, wet stuff.