Sign in to follow this  
Northbrook Bob

1972 Wheel Horse transmission needs repair

Northbrook Bob

Hello,

I have a 1972 Wheel Horse Charger 12 (model 17252) on which the transmission is going out. I do have the original owner's manual (we've had the machine since it was new), but it offers no information as to the transmission maker. I would like to know if anyone could suggest someone who can repair it (I am in Dallas, Texas).

Thanks,

Bob

Raider12

Hey Bob, let me be the first to welcome you to the RedSquare. :banghead::thumbs:

There are a few manuals available to help with the repair of your horses transaxle. I have seen several on ebay even. As far as someone in your are to make the needed repairs is another story. Im sure with over 4500 member here someone will chime in later this evening and give some additional advise.

Denver

rmaynard

:banghead: Glad to have you aboard.

You should have a Sundstrand 90-2046 transmission on that unit.

What kind of problems are you having?

btrrg1969

:banghead:

kpinnc

Bob, go to Toro.com and click on "look up parts". Put your tractor's model number in the Master Parts Viewer, and you should see a link to the "Automatic transmission repair manual" in the available downloads.

Just be advised, it's a pretty big file- over 70 pages. But it's a very good source for troubleshooting and repairing Sundstrands, and it has plenty of pictures as well.

Good luck!

Kevin

WheelHorse_of_course

:thumbs: Glad to have you aboard.

Yes, do tell...

:ROTF: :banghead:

VinsRJ

:banghead:

The trannies on WH's are fairly simple and easy to work on. Post up the issue you are finding with your tranny.

can whlvr

i have the manual that kevin told u about,when i took my sundstrand to a professional,i took that manual also and he said it was very handy

Northbrook Bob

:banghead: Glad to have you aboard.

You should have a Sundstrand 90-2046 transmission on that unit.

Thank you all for the kind welcome. Sorry I have not replied, but I didn't realize I wouldn't hear via email. I am new to this!

I took both wheels off and took photos of the rear axle and what I thought to be the transmission, and sent them to Jim at jimsrepairjimstractors.com. He didn't recognize the transmission, and yet advertised as doing Sundstrand transmission repair. I assume from your senior status at Red Square that you are certain this is a Sundstrand transmission.

The model is #17252 and the serial number is #638935, if that's any help. I have the original flyer of "Parts List and Instructions" that came with the tractor.

The problem is that it moves very slowly and will not pull up any incline at all. At start-up it has some pull and normal speed, but after it has been running for several minutes it slows down and will not have any pull up a hill.

I am looking for someone who can work on this as I work full-time and don't have either the time or the ability to do it. I can remove the transmission and ship it. Does anyone here do this kind of repair or know who does?

I will check the site more regularly to see what advice you have, even though there's two inches of ice outside and we're some way from spring mowing. I don't want to give up on this Wheel Horse. Many thanks.

Bob

KB9LOR

Northbrrok Bob, have you changed the hydro filter? Is the tranny fluid clean? Have you noticed any leaks? If you have not changed the tranny fluid and filter, that is the first thing I would do, as all WH tranny filters are non-bypass, meaning if the filter gets plugged "dirty", it will have those symptoms.

Northbrook Bob

Thanks, Brian. I will give that a try and hope to avoid more drastic measures. Appreciate your time and expertise.

Bob

KB9LOR

Your welcome Bob, we all here on RS try to help out each other, let us know how it goes.

WheelHorse_of_course

The symptoms your describe indicate it probably worn out and needs rebuilding.

Still, I think the advise to change the filter and fluid is worth a shot.

NOTE: The fluid will either be motor oil (10W-30) or red transmission fluid (Dextron III is the current equivalent to "Type A" originally used). You must use the same thing that is in there now.

I have a service bulletin Toro #12 dated June 1992 that indicates that the Sundstrand Hydros can be rebuilt by the following company:

John Carpenter

BJ Hydraulics

6590 Wall Lake Rd

Delton, MI 49046

616 623-5136

I do not know if Service Bulletin Toro #12 has been superceded.

As other have said, if print out the manual from Toro and bring it to a local hydraulics shop they may be able to service it.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

:thumbs: :thumbs: