Sign in to follow this  

my transaxle is frozen?

today i brought home a C-160 and it had been sitting for awhile and the tansaxle wont roll, wont shift out of high range, wont shift gears but shifter does move front and back thats it, drive pulley stuck also. I hope its just ice . i think water got in through the rotted shifter boot and that there is a solid block of ice in there. im not sure what to do or if that is even the case... dipsick is stuck and i didnt want to break it so i left it, and the oil drain plug is stuck too, my luck right? :banghead:

dgjks6

Sounds like it is either frozen - like you said, or rusted. Can you bring it in somewhere warm?

i got a pole barn and a fire place but no space heaters or salamanders...=[

Kelly

Build a fire and get it as close as you can, with out melting anything, it might take awhile, it probably has water in it, well ice right now, many do.

Trouty56

Even a light bulb like a trouble light placed under the tranny will melt it. It will take a while though.

B-8074

You could also use a heating wire. The kind for thawing your water pipes.

VinsRJ

Two halogen light bulbs will heat things up too.

racinfool40

I ran into this also with a tractor I just recently picked up.. I used a wagner home heat gun, Like the ones used to strip old paint!!! I pulled the drain and fill plugs and put the heat gun on the tranny case, in about an hour was freed up!!! Drained about a quart and 1/2 of water out!! :banghead:

stevasaurus

I ran into this also with a tractor I just recently picked up.. I used a wagner home heat gun, Like the ones used to strip old paint!!! I pulled the drain and fill plugs and put the heat gun on the tranny case, in about an hour was freed up!!! Drained about a quart and 1/2 of water out!! :banghead:

I'll bet Indy was hiding beer in there and forgot about it...heard you guys found some lying around when you were down there. :ROTF: :thumbs:

can whlvr

so obviously if its water,drain it completly,put some deisel fuel in it,about2 quarts,run the machine on blocks if u can,let it run for a bit,drain,put 2 quarts 80-90 weight gear oil,run for a bit and get it good and warm and drain and put new,u may get lucky and not have to do bearings inside tranny