Sign in to follow this  
varosd

42" vs 36" deck question

varosd

Still new to RS...so here it goes. Will my B-80 have enough power to use a 42" SD instead of my 36"RD?. I was cutting centapide grass down in NC but here in PA its more cool season fescue which seems to clump more. I see from my owners manual (thanks for keeping it, Dad, even the clear bag with the WH logo it came in!) that the B100 was the lowest model that the 42"SD/RD came on. Thanks in advance!! V

TT

Tough call.....

A lot depends on engine strength, height and frequency of mowing, and (of course) the grass itself.

I wouldn't discourage it, but for the 6 extra inches of cutting width you'll gain vs. maybe needing to mow more often, (less days in between) it might not be worth it. :banghead:

varosd

Thanks! I'll just have to look for that C-160 or a 416-8 with the bigger deck. Got to justify it to the Boss (wife), I have over an 1 acre. My dad picked up a 3 gang reel attachment circa 1980 in perfect condition. We had one back when I lived in CT and was a little kid on a brand new B-80 towing a set of gang reels.

TT

Have you ever considered a self-powered tow-behind finish mower? (like a Swisher) :banghead:

varosd

I would like to try to stick with a belly mower...thanks! V