Sign in to follow this  
COMMANDO1

No spinning

COMMANDO1

photo.jpg

photo1.jpg

As suggested by RED SQUARE menmbers, add more weight.I went for a ride in about 8 inches of snow and not even a hint of spinning. Thanks for the help.

Sparky

Is that a Nacho Cheese Wheel :banghead: ?

Just kidding. Is it concrete? Whats it weigh in at?

Mike..........

420lse

That looks like some serious weight! Nice job.

Gene_S

Now thats some added weight... :banghead:

How is that attached to the rear of the tractor?

I hope you don't have all that weight on the hitch pin...

boovuc

I think Commando put a deer lick on the back of his tractor!! :banghead:

Now he'll have to be careful not hit any venison when he backs up.

BooVuc

Mill hall, PA

CTPATRIOT

Now that's some traction for sure!

WH854

Better Put A Set Of Whelly Bars On Too :banghead:

Chas

defed

I think Commando put a deer lick on the back of his tractor!!

i thought the same thing!

Dresden Guy

Tractorwithwifeascounterweight.jpg

This solution is probably more as a counterweight rather than traction, but if you could get the "liitle woman" (or "BIG" would be better) to ride.... problem solved!

Didn't I remember someone's front wheel fell off a week or two ago while snowplowing...... this might also work for the "loose wheel". I remember Kenny Rogers sang the song "You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel" :banghead:

TT

Like I said in the other topic......... watch those scrawny axles. :banghead:

Wouldn't want this to happen:

100_0880.jpg

AMC RULES

Holy sheep dip Batman, more weight? You weren't messin' around. How much does that weigh? :banghead:

TT

That is a picture of another member's 520 that had duals with wheel weight spacers. (he might have had the rear weight box on it at the time too - but I can't remember)

He went over a hump with the outside tire and you can clearly see the result. :banghead:

Not saying that's going to happen to "COMMANDO'S" Commando, but I'd be very careful with it. :thumbs:

AMC RULES

Any recommendation on how much would be too much TT? :banghead:

jimbotelho

Ter :thumbs::ROTF::banghead: ry I was Thinking about the axle deal too

TT

As far as hanging off the back of the tractor?

I would say that depends a lot on how far behind the axle centerline the weight is located and what tractor it is.

It also depends a lot on terrain and speed. If you bounce over a bump at top speed, you would bend or break something more quickly than if you're creeping along on a smooth surface. I bent a front spindle by bouncing over a tree root with the thrower raised.

Pulling tractors usually have a lot of ballast weight, but it doesn't hang off the back of the tractor. You could probably add 600 or 800 pounds to a Wheel Horse and not hurt it - if you had it in the right place(s).

d180man

Like I said in the other topic......... watch those scrawny axles. :ROTF:

Wouldn't want this to happen:

100_0880.jpg

Been there done that ! :banghead: but nice tractor !! :thumbs: :hide:

Redbirdman

Don't sit on it! :banghead:

COMMANDO1

It is concrete and weighs about 70lbs. give or take.

AMC RULES

Weight doesn't seem too bad. Just used a bucket for the form?

Redbirdman

It is concrete and weighs about 70lbs. give or take

I would not worry about the weight itself, the attachment point maybe but the weight no.

As I said in other posts my son and I plowed driveways for years with similar equipment and that does not weigh much more than an implement like a rototiller.

RJandJD-1.jpg

As you can see we used a tiller for weight in this green machine being used by my grandaughter.

The greenie only assisted the RJ many years ago.. :banghead: ........

Our weight boxes though all had either a 3 point attachment or a locking (in the up position) bar or chain. One box we made had barbells across the bottom, a 5 gallon gas can, (35 lbs), a bag of salt (40lbs) oil, shovels chains and a gallon of anti-freeze!

The biggest factor for consideration is remembering it is back there when backing up!

Personally, I think I would pull your rear wheels in closer though. Not only to take a load off the axels but to give you a better track behind the plow. A wide stance looks cool but since you really can't be plowing 'across' a steep hill (you will just slide off) like you could be doing when farming the wide stance only gets in the way.

ed :thumbs:

Rollerman

Personally, I think I would pull your rear wheels in closer though. Not only to take a load off the axels but to give you a better track behind the plow. A wide stance looks cool but since you really can't be plowing 'across' a steep hill (you will just slide off) like you could be doing when farming the wide stance only gets in the way.

Thats actually just something thats unique to that model of tractor.

The Commando had an odd size rear wheel & shorter tire to fit a larger deck under a short frame.

The wheels Wheel Horse used on them didn't have the same off set as the 12" wheels....so longer axles were used & the hub key way is also further out.

COMMANDO1

Yup, just used a bucket. i weight 175 lbs. so now 245lbs. i have a nice flat driveway

and no place to be bouncing around. ill give it a try next snow. I if i think it will be risky i do something different. any more ideas on how to bring wheels in some.

COMMANDO1

Let me see if i follow, that means the hub would be bolted from the inside right? the hub would be on the outside of the rim.

Redbirdman

Also, if you look at that photo above with the failed axel you can see rust where the axel was damaged, or started cracking long before it finally failed.....who knows what kind of abuse that took long ago.....it might even have been a poorly cast or poorly cooled casting :banghead: (you know: "A Holiday!)

brokenaxel3.jpg