Sign in to follow this  
Clarkbug

C-120 Tie-Rod Question

Clarkbug

So in the course of my tinkering, I looked at the front end of the tractor, and this is what I found...

TieRod.JPG

It does this on both sides.

So what do I need to actually fix this? From my searches, I see discussion about tie rod ends, but I dont see where I could put a new end on the rod, all it has is a pocket. Is there supposed to be a little cup or something in there?

Any help is much appreciated!

Don1977

You can take them off put the ball back in and hammer them in place , but it's just a temporary fix.

dgjks6

Those would be broken. The balls are press fit in the socket. You can put it back in and hammer the side of the socket, but you need to replace both tie rods for a permanent fix. They are not hard to replace.

Squirt some PB blaster or oil of choice on the bolts on each end of the tie rod. Wait a day. Come back in the morning and use a 1/2 wrench on one side and a 9/16 wratchet on the bolt.

Not a long process. There are several people here who sell them or you can find them on ebay. anywhere between 20 and 40 for both sides.

can whlvr

i see latly that the c120 needs lots of tlc and tinkering,so for the rods u can use mechanics wire to get u by,i made a set for my 308 with 1/2rod,a tap set and i got tie rod ends at a place we call princess auto,u can ask in the wanted area or the classifieds,but i have used wire to get by,untill i could afford new ones

rmaynard

Your question about tie rod ends still needs an answer. The new tie rods have adjustable ends. Yours do not. You will have to get a set of newer rods to have replaceable ends.

37c65667.jpg

Clarkbug

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I was afraid it would be something that needed to be replaced... It always seems that way. But I guess thats the way it is when you get something thats 30+ years old. I may just use can whlvr's idea and wire them in for now, but Ill keep my eyes open for a new set.

So when I do finally get a new set thats adjustable, any good procedure for adjusting them? Or just make the comparison between new length and old length and make sure they match?

rmaynard

Set them to approximately the same length as the old ones. Then with your steering wheel straight, align the wheels so they are straight. I always give them about 1/8" toe-in.

Bob

Clarkbug

So here is another thought...

Im wondering if these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-threaded-tie-rod-end...=item45f347994c

or something similar would fit on the existing rods, if they were cut, drilled, and threaded. I havent done any measuring yet to see if they are thick enough, but has anyone else tried anything like this?

dgjks6

Yes, they would, but if you post in the wanted section you can probably get a complete pair for less.

Kelly

If the outer end is that bad, the inner is not far behind, these lasted what 30 years?? buy a new set, I seen them on ebay for $29 a set and be done, you might even call around local and find them as cheap or cheaper.

can whlvr

i agree with what kelly said,get the new ones,i used the ends like the ebay ones,they work good but if u take your time into account,its not cheaper and they dont look as good,i did mine for about 25 bucks,but im in canada and dealer prices and shipping up to us is costly so i made my own,but i wont do it again,ill use the wire untill i can afford oem ones

Gregg in ohio

just fixed one of them today same thing u had,C-145 i took a 3/8 rod and threaded it 3/8 24 and installed adjustable tie rods on the rod and adjusted it and it works,,the other side is adjustable the other is solid..gregg