Sign in to follow this  
rrlascott

Updating my GT 14

rrlascott

I have a GT 14 and though I don't have a lot of time lately to work on it, I've been trying to to get the timing to work. It's uses points. It only runs at low RPMs. I'm now looking to update it to solid state. As far as I know, this should mean a new stator and trigger module. The wiring should be no big deal either. Stator to rectifier to charge. Stator to trigger module to plug for spark. Anyone know where I can find these parts. I do hope the stator mounts properly.

thanx

sorekiwi

Sorry, cant help you with a source for parts.

Are you sure you really want to go to the solid state ignition? The points system is so simple, easy to troubleshoot, and if there is a problem it is cheap to replace the parts. The solid state ignition is a new can of worms (IMO).

Of course I'm giving you this opinion from one whose a little electronically challenged.

Fiscalyear

What year and model is your GT14? If I'm not mistaken, all GT14's are breakerless ignition. I have a 1970 model 1-7452 and it's breakerless.

Eddie

boatman

:thumbs: Hi THERE,

My gt-14 is a 1969 and it has breakerless ignition from factory

already on it.`I have never had any trouble from any of my

other wheelhorses. They have always started easy and run well.

Don,t believe I would change from points to the breakerless ign. :banghead:

Brrly1

I have to agree with Boatman, I have a couple of the breakerless ignitions on my GT14's which actually run fine. If that trigger burns out at a cost of well over $125 I will definitely being changing over to points. The triggers are quite expensive. Have you tried filing and cleaning the points (condenser) if not replacing them. I am sure there must be some reason it runs like it does. I am sure it can be straighten out. My Mom has always said "Patience is a virtue". Hang tough.

See Ya, Bye Burly :banghead:

:thumbs:

Cody

It sounds to me like the condenser may be on the wrong side of the coil, make sure that the condenser is on the negative side along with the points, and the power wire is on the positive side.