Sign in to follow this  
Lukezab

High gear(s) not working on 312-8

Lukezab

Hi all.

my wheel horse 312-8 and my snow thrower attachment have been handling everything mother nature has thrown my way thus far. Unfortunately, while moving snow yesterday the four high gears stopped working. I just couldn't get the gear to engage. Fortunately, the four low gears worked fine and I was able to finish the task at hand but it sure would be nice to go in reverse in the high gear. I've only had the tractor for a few months and am just getting acquainted with her but I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Luke

mavfreak

ok so its not coming out of low range?

TT

It could be one - or a combination of several things.

Roll pin sheared at the shifter

Bent shift shaft "lever"

Bent or broken shift fork

Stripped high/low sliding gear

Everything but the roll pin will require splitting the transaxle to inspect / repair.

Coadster32

Everything but the roll pin will require splitting the transaxle to inspect / repair.

I know what I'd start with. :banghead:

Duff

Luke, the hi-lo range shifter fork is a known "weak point" in an otherwise pretty bomb-proof tranny assembly. It bends pretty easily and breaks without a whole lot more effort. Have you ever had to "force" the range selector to get back and forth between hi and lo? If so, you may have unknowingly weakened the assembly. :thumbs:

My hope is, as TT suggested, the roll pin in the shifter has let go, but if you were able to shift it into lo range, chances are that pin is still intact.

Splitting the tranny is not as formidable as it sounds. There are a couple of excellent threads with pictures around here on how to go about it. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Duff :banghead:

stevasaurus

A thread exists in the transmission section that dealt with the high/low part of the transmission with pictures. I'll see if I can locate it and post a link. :banghead:

After some searching here it is... :thumbs:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=19680

Here is the link to my uni-drive trans. It is the same trans except for the hi/low, but looking at this thread, it may answer some of your questions for taking apart and putting back together. Use both threads together.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=17168

Here is a copy of the Transmission Manual from MikesRJ site.

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...ns/492-4004.pdf

Post questions and we will walk you through it. :ROTF:

mavfreak

Steve, he needs your thread on tranings

Ha you beat my post!

Lukezab

Thank you everyone for your insight. I guess the best way to explain it is that the High-Low shifter swims in the high position. It just dosn't seem to engage.

I can still use the tractor in the lower gears. Being in the middle of winter I suspect that I'll see more snow before I can fix it. Can anyone tell me if putting off the repair can cause futher damage?

Thanks again,

Luke

Duff

Luke, that's a hard one to call. If the shifter fork is simply bent, then there's probably little damage it can do as long as you stay in lo range. If it's broken and the piece(s) has fallen down into the bottom of the tranny and lays still there, again, probably no damage. But if a piece gets kicked up by the spinning gears splashing the tranny fluid around and gets caught in between them, that could tear something up. I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I don't want to paint a rosy picture and mislead you, either. :thumbs:

Duff :banghead:

stevasaurus

Duff's right...crap shoot. :banghead: But if you do cause more damage, it could be cheaper buying another horse, or a spare transmission from someone. The job, it self may be done in a weekend, if the hubs and hitch pin come out easily. Sometimes, just bending that shift thing back will fix it...need to take a look.

dgjks6

where are you located? I got a freshly rebuilt trans that needs tested. You can drop yours off and swap for the one I got and you can test it.

can whlvr

i got a good used tranny from a guy whom i met(over the phone)here and it was only 125 and 75 to ship,i installed that rear end and when i had the time i opened up the original and completely rebuilt it when i had the cash,now i have a spare ready to go when i need it.

Lukezab

dgjks6,

I am up in the great state of Maine. It's a long shot but I appreciate the offer.

Luke