Sign in to follow this  
tmessenger

8 sp to auto conversion ?

tmessenger

I bought a couple of tractors last week a compete 10 8sp that runs great but does not have a limited slip differential, it works for snow plowing but would be better with limited slip.

The other tractor I got is a C-120 auto with a bad engine (broken rod). I was thinking if this has limited slip ? I could change it over to my 10 8 or try and trade it for an 8 speed trans with limit slip. I like the manual trans and it may be more efficient so don't know which way to go with this.

Any opinions or info appreciated.

Thanks Tim

Operator

How about just swapping motor out to try? :banghead:

Randy

tmessenger

How about just swapping motor out to try? :banghead:

Randy

Well I've already pinched the seat and rear fender pan off of the C-120 and switched them over to the 10 8 and the 10 8 is done so would prefer to just change the trans. The previous owner was mowing when the rod let go and he did open the tow valve so I comfortable that the trans is good just don't know if it has limited slip or if it's better to stay with a manual trans?

tm

TT

#1 - the C-120 shouldn't have the 10 pinion ("limited slip") differential.

#2 - the 10 pinion "limited slip" differentials aren't as strong the 8 pinion units. (and most 4 pinion units either) I really don't think you'll be impressed by the "limited slip" differential in a Wheel Horse either - especially one that's old & worn like most are these days.

#3 - changing from a gear drive to a hydro requires swapping more than just the actual transaxle. By the time you're done, you'll realize that putting the 10-8 engine on the C-120 was quicker and easier.

#4 - An open differential will apply the most power to the wheel with least resistance - so you need to increase traction.

Wheel Horses are great tractors, but they're too light. Add as much weight as possible (within reason) to the rear of the tractor and it'll act like a totally different machine.

tmessenger

#1 - the C-120 shouldn't have the 10 pinion ("limited slip") differential.

#2 - the 10 pinion "limited slip" differentials aren't as strong the 8 pinion units. (and most 4 pinion units either) I really don't think you'll be impressed by the "limited slip" differential in a Wheel Horse either - especially one that's old & worn like most are these days.

#3 - changing from a gear drive to a hydro requires swapping more than just the actual transaxle. By the time you're done, you'll realize that putting the 10-8 engine on the C-120 was quicker and easier.

#4 - An open differential will apply the most power to the wheel with least resistance - so you need to increase traction.

Wheel Horses are great tractors, but they're too light. Add as much weight as possible (within reason) to the rear of the tractor and it'll act like a totally different machine.

Thanks great information, I really appreciate it.

I did get two sets of lead wheel weights with the tractor 2 @ 75 lbs and 2 @ 40 lbs. Both sets will fit inside the wheels, I just have the 75's in now so I'll add the 40's and see how it goes. Also it was sort of like a snow plow torture test with 4~5" of really wet snow and my 400' drive has a hill in it.

The other thing is I have two sets of rear wheels / tires 7.50's and 8.50's. I have the 8.50's on now as my chains fit them but they are wider with more flotation so do you think the 7.50's would bite better ? I can cut the chains down to fit.

Regards,

Tim

jdog_kustoms

i am plowing with a b100 with a 8 speed and 23 8.50 x12 rear tires with chains and 75 lbs wheel weights and it does good but if you need more traction i found putting a weight box on the back hitch behind the rear wheels make a lot more traction then any wheel weights can

and what gear are you plowing in

tmessenger

and what gear are you plowing in

This was my first time plowing with this set-up so I tried all the top range gears but 3rd seemed the best with no problem with power, engine is really strong.

tm

jdog_kustoms

i plow in high 1st or 2nd and have no issues but if the snow is wet or deep i had to use 3rd but now i bought a 2 stage blower for big snows