Sign in to follow this  
multihobbyguy

400 Suburban questions

multihobbyguy

My first question, is the tractor a Suburban 400? I think it because it has the 4hp kohler and the way the hood is recessed by the steering shaft but, I am in no way a expert. My second would be did they all come with rear fenders? I am assuming they did(from the photo section) and mine got removed at some point in its history but I am not sure. Is the seat correct or has it been changed? I looked at the pictures on here and they seem to have holes in them. I am sure I will have more questions as time passes. My plan is to start putting it back together making sure I have everything fit,aligned and working. Then I plan to tear it down and repaint the tractor to give it a face lift. Here are a couple of pictures. If you see anything else that is not correct please chime in and let me know, as always, thanks, Chris.

EconomySuburban001.jpg

EconomySuburban007.jpg

EconomySuburban004.jpg

EconomySuburban012.jpg

EconomySuburban019.jpg

EconomySuburban005.jpg

EconomySuburban006.jpg

EconomySuburban013.jpg

TT

It's definitely a 1960, and it's definitely a 400.

The lack of (plugged) key switch hole and the single raised reinforcement bead in the belt guard (vs. the cross) is indicative of an earlier 400.

Fenders & toolbox were standard on the electric start models (550/551), but were optional on the RJ-58/59 and 400/401 tractors.

The solid seat is also correct for a 400, but so is the perforated version.

I see the ID tag in one of your photos. Hopefully you'll still be able to read the serial number.

wallfish

Yes, I would say it's a 400. The solid seat would be correct for a 400 although some of them did have the seats with holes in them.

Looks like you have a bunch of the goodies too. Early belt guard and foot rests, the correct throttle and choke levers plus the heat shield.

VinsRJ

Complete throttle and choke levers is a real score IMO!

rickv1957

Nice find!! :banghead:

multihobbyguy

Would this tractor have come with a oil bath air cleaner or is the round one on it correct? Thank you for all of your replies, Chris.

TT

The round (dry element) air cleaner is correct.

linen beige

the single raised reinforcement bead in the belt guard (vs. the cross) is indicative of an earlier 400.

I don't know that I've ever noticed one with just the single raised portion. Mine is flat.

Patssignand400beltguard013.jpg

I'm with TT on the details of this 400. I also would like to know the serial number. It should be stamped into the face of the engine control lever cover.

multihobbyguy

I cleaned on the plate today and the number says 29023. I tried to get a picture but I couldn't get one that you could make out the number.

I guess I lied here is clean picture of the plate.

004-1-1.jpg

linen beige

That number should be a pretty early 400. Just out of curiosity, what are the numbers cast into the top of the transmission?

multihobbyguy

Linen: I went out to the trailer and took a picture for you today for the number. Are the numbers on top of the transmission a part number? I guess I better try to find a service manual to download with part numbers. Let me know if those are not the numbers you were looking for.

400tranytag001.jpg

linen beige

The 3501 is the part # for the trans case. The M15-9 is, WE THINK, the code for the day that part was cast. In this case 12-15-59. It is for sure a model 400 and the fairly low serial coupled with the date on the trans make me think it is a relatively early one.