Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

FEL vs johnny bucket

dgjks6

I am getting old. Every Spring I spread between 25 and 50 yeards of mulch. My yard is very steep from front to back. From age 28-35 used a wheel barrow. thought it was a good workout. At age 35 started using a trailer. It helps a lot, but you still have to load it, one shovel full at a time.

So now I amthinking about spring and moving this - all with tractor power. I would love a FEL, but worry the most about storage and maintenance. I looked at the johnny buckets, but I am concerned about how much they can move.

Anyone used one before?

Jim_M

I had one. They'll move just as much as a loader, they just won't lift as high. If you buy one, get the electric dump option, you won't be sorry, it makes it a much more versatile attachment.

Ferrets

dgjks6

You're not getting older - just wiser !

I get around 40 yds of mulch a year as well. I did the shovel/wheel barrow thing, got a trailer, better shovel etc.

Nothing beats a loader - it can dump mulch into raised beds and has the ability to load a trailer !

Another thing that made life much easier was fabricating a 'load handler' style drag sheet for my dump trailer. Dirt,gravel & mulch cranks right out. Now - If I only had a backhoe..... :banghead:

PS - a quonset hut makes a nice home for a loader.

Nick

If moving mulch and other things around the yard is the only goal a Johnny bucket would probably work well. A loader can do more things but works out best if you can leave it on a dedicated tractor where the JB can be attached and removed fairly quickly.

If the yard is that steep a Johnny bucket would be much less likely to cause tipping. A loader would probably need duals and also more rear counterweights.

dgjks6

I may put on duals, reas counter wieghts, and ags just cause its so cool. :banghead:

can whlvr

as the others said it depends on what u are gonna do mostly and your budget,the front end loader can do alot more chores,alot more money and bulky,the johny is a nice lookin toy too,i was lokking for a loader but ended up getting a skid steer,i too am aging(arnt we all)and i needed something to move material and help unload euipment and tools,i also built a homemade jb,it worked great and i used a winch too lift the load