Sign in to follow this  
Guest skinner

Detergent OIL

Somewhere I remember reading that air cooled industrial engines that don't have oil filters need to stay away from using the 'detergent' oils which were designed for filtrated systems like on the bigger twins and such. I think it was on Brian Miller's pulling website (pointed from the WheelHorse links section), but I can't find it anymore. Any tribology experts here that can comment on this? On the back of every 30W oil bottle, I always seem read something about advanced detergents, unless its a Kohler or Briggs and Stratton recommended oil bottle - but that doesn't mean its not an ingredient for these either.

If that's true, I'm not feeding my engines right. The argument had something to do with detergents suspending the debris and carrying it to the filter whereas if you don't have a filter the idea is to let crap fall to the bottom out of the way - suspension = bad. I can maybe understand that argument if you just have splash lubrication and not a sump.

What do you guy's use?

Anglo Traction

According to my Kohler Manual, it states Detergent Based Oils are required to comply with API Service Class SF/SG.

I beleive this is to enable the oil to carry away deposits (and Heat?) from the running parts and deposit them as Sludge in Splash Lubed engines. Non Detergent Oils retain these particles in suspension and need to be filtered out. (but I may be Waffling).

Thanks for the link, Bob.

Brian makes a believable argument, especially given his background, but I never read anything in the manual explicitly telling me not to use detergent, unless the recommendation for Kohler oil takes care of that issue. But they make engines with and without filters, so if it made a difference then why recommend one blend for different models? Is this not the case? Maybe it doesn't matter.

squonk

According to my Kohler Manual, it states Detergent Based Oils are required to comply with API Service Class SF/SG.

I beleive this is to enable the oil to carry away deposits (and Heat?) from the running parts and deposit them as Sludge in Splash Lubed engines. Non Detergent Oils retain these particles in suspension and need to be filtered out. (but I may be Waffling).

Yup. I just read the Kohler K series manual and it said to use detergent oil. As a added note I've used detergent oil in my 210-H with a Briggs for 20 yrs. and have not touched anything inside the motor yet.