Sign in to follow this  
tmessenger

C-120 general ? and parts ?

tmessenger

I picked up a nice 10 8sp this week with a bunch of extras and now have it in my shop getting it set up to push snow and in general familiarizing myself with the tractor and various implements.

I also have the opportunity to purchase a C-120 with the automatic transmission, hydraulic lift and two 42" mower decks for not much $. The tractor is really nice no rust and very good original paint but the engine has a broken rod. Is there any demand for parts off of these old tractors or should I just pass on it ?

Thanks

Tim

B-8074

Yes there is a demand, depends on your location on the amount of demand. If the price is right I would buy it and swap motors or find a motor and run it. It sure is nice to have a hydro lift for the plow plus with the solid lift link you can have down pressure.

Operator

First :thumbs: "Newbie"

Second " Is there any demand for parts off of these old tractors or should I just pass on it ?"

You haven't been around here long, but yes there is high demand for various "parts".

But you will see that once you get one :ROTF: you'll need another.

Buy it then post some pic's, We all like pictures! You'll find that out too :banghead:

Randy

squonk

If the lift cylinder for the 120 is the same as a 160 I know some one who would like a spare! :banghead:

buckeye

Use caution when buying an automatic without being able to test it. You say it has a broken rod in the motor, but their could be more internal damage. I'm not saying dont buy it, but you have a 50/50 chance of buying a good tractor, or a money pit.

tmessenger

Use caution when buying an automatic without being able to test it. You say it has a broken rod in the motor, but their could be more internal damage. I'm not saying dont buy it, but you have a 50/50 chance of buying a good tractor, or a money pit.

The 10 8 runs great and will do all my work, I'm not really a collector just prefer the build on the older tractors and this one will get used. I guess if I get the 120 it would be for parts but don't need 3 mower decks hydraulic stuff and etc. And yeah ya never really know until you tear them down what's up. The previous owner said it just stopped running in a instant and the piston is not moving but it turns over easy so.............

boovuc

Hi Tim, and Welcome!

After reading what the previous owner told you, there is a good chance that the tranny is OK but...........lets hope he didn't force tow or drag it into his garage from where it quit. There is a tow valve that needs to be opened on the old hydros that allow it to be towed/moved when not running. Most folks never think of that when one quits. I left a C121 go for parts because of a bad hydro. That tranny is just too expensive to repair or at the very least very hard to justify the funds to do it. Mine ran but once warmed up, it wouldn't keep stable speeds going up or down grades and it had lost more tha 50% of it's push due to by-passing.

Welcome to Redsquare and I wish you well on your 10-8 Speed. If that C120 is really nice, most of us here would always like to see it saved and not parted out but we are also realists too. :banghead: Oh well.......most of us are anyway :thumbs:

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

rickv1957

:banghead: I would have to fix up that C120 :thumbs:

zieg72

:banghead: I would have to fix up that C120 :thumbs:

X2, that hp/style is very desirable, plop a K341 and you shouldn't want for anything else.

tmessenger

Hi Tim, and Welcome!

After reading what the previous owner told you, there is a good chance that the tranny is OK but...........lets hope he didn't force tow or drag it into his garage from where it quit. There is a tow valve that needs to be opened on the old hydros that allow it to be towed/moved when not running. Most folks never think of that when one quits. I left a C121 go for parts because of a bad hydro. That tranny is just too expensive to repair or at the very least very hard to justify the funds to do it. Mine ran but once warmed up, it wouldn't keep stable speeds going up or down grades and it had lost more tha 50% of it's push due to by-passing.

Welcome to Redsquare and I wish you well on your 10-8 Speed. If that C120 is really nice, most of us here would always like to see it saved and not parted out but we are also realists too. :banghead: Oh well.......most of us are anyway :thumbs:

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

That's good info, I now know what to look for and can do some further investigating before laying down the $.

Thanks all for the help I'll get some photos up of all my new toys soon.

Tim in Iowa.

fabricator2009

:banghead: You will love that automatic transmission. I would fix it.

Duff

Hi, Tim, and :ROTF: !

Following up on an earlier post, how about asking the guy how he moved it after the motor let go? That way you might have some idea if the tranny was damaged - no guarantees, but it's at least an indication. :thumbs:

Even though I'm a maroon stripe kinda guy, everthing I've read around here tells me the C120 is a very desirable tractor. Good luck!

Duff :banghead: