Sign in to follow this  
Giles

Power Steering???

Giles

I Have a C175 that I have maticulously maintained for 26 years. It has always been a little hard to steer but now that I am 26 years older it is sometimes a chore to operate without pain to my body.

Has anyone else found a solution to this small problem that might help?

Do you think a larger steering wheel, such as 15"-17". would help much?

rickv1957

A larger steering wheel and/or a bit more air in the front tires would help. :banghead:

zieg72

You may be able to get the gear reduction steering off a newer '91 on up 520H to fit. I know they fit on the 400 series but am not familiar enough with the C-series yet.

Don1977

Their are several things that may help your steering. Check out this post:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=24353

Also adjust your steering gears may help. If the tie rod ends have lose play fixing that can help it steer easier. I had a front wheel bearing go bad and destroy a spindle.

I put 3500 # trailer hubs with 6 ply rated tires and installed new better tie rod ends and it steer easy now. It also roll a lot better. I turned a little late to miss a bush and it just leaned the bush over about 30 degrees and climbed up 16", before it would have just folded the front tire up and started spinning.

boovuc

Hi Giles,

If the steering issue on your C-175 is only during the winter with a plow or blower on the front, add more counter-weight on the rear. My C-175 which is near and dear to me, was a big problem with the blower on the front. This year, I upped my weight on the wheel weights to 75 lbs each and added 60 lbs of weight on the rear hitch. This added about 100 lbs extra to the rear of the tractor from last year and it made a big difference in steering. A major difference.

I hope you can always keep hold of your C-175. I've had mine over 20 years now.

Good Luck! :banghead:

BooVuc

mill Hall, PA