Sign in to follow this  
nekovt

314A Hydro pump gone

nekovt

Hello, I have a 314-A that has a hydro pump that's definitely gone. (Works great for about 5-10 min, then crawls).

Does anyone have or know of where I can get a used hydro pump?

Thanks!Brad

rickv1957

A 520 style trans can be adapted to fit and is a much stronger trans set up. :banghead:

nekovt

Hi, is that the eaton 11? I know it's more powerful, but I was wondering how it mounted and also how I would block off the other 2 hydro ports to. Is it easy? Thanks!

kpinnc

To clarify Rick's post- you don't need the entire "transmission". What Rick said is technically correct though, as the "pump" is referred to as the transmission, and the gear case is the transaxle. Just wanted to make that clear...

The transaxle on a 700-series Eaton equipped machine just uses an adapter plate to mount the pump to. Remove 4 bolts, and the 1100-series pump bolts right up.

Adapting your tractor for hydraulic lift (if you use an 1100-series pump) is quite easy and not terribly expensive. The center console of your tractor should be stamped to accept "like" year model hydraulics and/or mounting components. Wheel Horse regularly used parts that were ready for manual transmissions as well as hydros, and manual lift versus hydraulic. It's cheaper to manufacture 1 part for use in multiple models, and many of the tractors were built this way.

You can probably find a donor machine for all the parts you need cheaper than you can buy even a used pump. Of course it's a gamble, but I've had pretty good luck with the 1100-series pumps as opposed to the 700s. Almost all of the 300/400/500-series tractors that have the "-H" designation use the Eaton 1100 and have all the hydraulic components. Even the Workhorse 1848s have it. Find one cheap with a blown engine, and you can handle the rest. Even a used Eaton 1100 can run $250-$300, so a parts tractor is the way to go.

If you decide against adding hydraulics, I would not simply "loop" the charge pump on the 1100-series transmission back on itself. Just my opinion, but I would go ahead and add hydraulic lift.

nekovt

Hi, Thanks for the information! That's great to know I can remove the Eaton 7 and adapter plate to put on an Eaton 11!

Ok, so it sounds like I should get a 1100 with hydrolic lift system. I'm working on one possibility, but if it doesn't work out do you know where I could look for an 1100 series pump?

If it doesn't come with the hydrolic lift and I have to loop it back, do I simply cap off the two ports or do I have to find some sort of hose to connect them?

Thanks!!

Brad

dennist

We had a 518-H it came with the Eaton 700 and the pump was bad. I had a Eaton 1100 from a C-175 and it took more then just the four bolts and spacer. I do not recall the whole issue, but the gear on the pump did not match up and we had to change some parts/gears. May have just been my particular situation/combination, but it was a little more then expected. I would definately get rid of the Eaton 700 though. Good luck-Dennis

can whlvr

did u know red squqre has a wanted section and look in the classified section,there are people who sell parts and u could get lucky

kpinnc

I do not recall the whole issue, but the gear on the pump did not match up and we had to change some parts/gears.

I should have made that clear- the pumps swap as I said ONLY if the donor pump is from a Wheel Horse tractor. There were many different brand tractors that used the Eaton pumps. Yes, the gears on the pump are different between a 700 and 1100, as the 700's gear extends further into the case to bridge the distance created by the adapter plate. Wheel Horse also used counter-clockwise (CCW) pumps, but they were made in clockwise (CW) versions for other brands. You'll find CW or CCW stamped in the housing just below the direction lever. There were also many different input and output shaft (splined, keyed, etc...) options, so stick with a Wheel Horse pump to be sure.

Since we're clarifying this- As I said before, a donor tractor will make life much simpler, as you'll need the other hydraulic components. My point was it's usually cheaper to buy a tractor without an engine or with one that does not run than to find and buy all the parts separate. A new or refurbished 1100, if you can locate one, can cost between $400 and $1200. You may find a parts tractor for $200.

I probably should not have put all this up the way I did. Don't get me wrong, I have done this same pump conversion myself. The difference is that I have several spare transmissions/ transaxles to play with. As far as the easiest thing to do, changing the entire rear end assembly from a donor machine would in fact be best. My point was meant to show that the Eaton 1100 can replace what you have, and the rest of the conversion can literally be done without an entire rear end. You can make all the hoses and easily find a spool valve and cylinder.

If it doesn't come with the hydraulic lift and I have to loop it back, do I simply cap off the two ports or do I have to find some sort of hose to connect them?

I've never seen an 1100 pump without a coaxial charge pump installed for hydraulics, but it's certainly possible that they exist. One thing to consider though: If you remove the hydraulic lines for any reason, you'll lose the oil filter and oil flow for the entire system. Unlike the 700-series pumps, the Eaton 1100 shares lubrication with the transaxle by circulating the return side from the hydraulics through the filter and back to the transaxle. In this application, it also doubles as a fluid sump. If you take the charge pump out of the circuit (plugging or looping the ports), you'll have to engineer a reservoir of some type to provide oil to the hydrostatic pump, similar to the small one on the Eaton 700. Personally, I would not use the pump without filtration if I could get it. You're asking for trouble if you do.

nekovt

Hi, ok I think I understand now thanks! I mis understood thinking I could easily swap in an 1100 out of a 700. I'll look for a whole rear end tractor parts system then. Thanks!! Brad

nekovt

I've been looking around for a whole rear end donor tractor with an Eaton 11 - Folks either haven't responded after saying they're willing or they're to far away. I had a deal for $200-$250 but never heard back.

Is there anyone out there who has a rear end w/an Eaton 11 + lift system that would fit and old 314A?

thanks!

Brad

kpinnc

Brad, you may want to go ahead and post this in the "wanted" section of our classifieds. You may have better luck with it there.

You might also want to keep an eye out for a similar machine with a blown engine. You might pick the whole tractor up for the price range you mentioned. Most all the 300/400/500-series tractors that have model numbers ending with "-H" will work for you, except the 516-H and 518-H domestic tractors. There was a pretty large number of tractors made with that rear end over the years.

Good luck!

Kevin