Sign in to follow this  
Redbirdman

GASOLINE!

Redbirdman

Just a quick question/observation regarding fuel for the beasts?

Probably the biggest PITA I have observed over the last 40 years with all my older equipment has been the changes in fuel. When the various states adopted the 'winter' additives I started noticing rubber fuel lines, gaskets, o-rings and the inside of gas tanks detoriating. It first started around 1980 when I saw gas line chips showing up in the filter bowls and carb screens. The fix was to simply replace the gas lines with a newer version. But later on I noticed an extreme amount of heavy rust inside gas tanks. Supposedly from the ethanol and alcohol winter additives. The fix this time was to leave your gas tank full all the time.?

Then the lead was removed with a result in valves burning and heads warping. The fix then was to use NAPA lead additives.........

But every once in a while we find these old machines that were built in the lead/non additive era and never adapted.

I have been using 100 low lead aviation gasoline in all my equipment (including the OLD Harley) for years with great results. For the most part Aviation gas is not too much more expensive, just hard to get for the average person......

But I have never seen the aspect of fuel for these beasts addressed?

Has it been addressed someplace on this site? What do you do? :hide:

Ed

100 Aviation Low Lead sells for about $4.00 a gallon

backupfileall0910045.jpg

has very little odor, evaporates real quick and is about equal to the old hi-test gasoline octane.................and it's real puuurrrdy :banghead:

PS: since only 'tractors' use fuel I hope this is the right forum??? if not, please spank me :thumbs: :ROTF:

chesbaycruiser

Redbirdman,

I think you will find the definitive gasoline post here:

Post Titled "Premium Gasoline"

It sure taught me a thing or two!!!

:banghead:

Redbirdman
TT Posted: August 25, 2009 06:15 pm

Horse'n Around

Its easy to see how the engines in our tractors would really benefit from fuel with good octane especially when they are under the stress of being used and used hard. I have never had the opportunity to actually work my Horses yet, but that will change :banghead:

John

theoldwizard1

As mentioned, ethanol is a great fuel system "cleaner", dislodging particles that can clog filters and carburetors.

What do restorers use to clean inside gas tanks ?

Is there any substance that can be used to seal gas tanks from the inside ?

Kelly

I just last week used a product from POR-15 for sealing motorcycle gas tanks, it came as a kit with two metal preps and a sealer, it cost about $30 not sure how good it is because I just used it, but I like other stuff by that company.

CTPATRIOT

I've been using 100LL off/on for many years.I love it,the best part is the shelf life.I saw a generator that sat nearly 10 years with a full tank of avgas fire up on the third pull and run like new :banghead: .

Redbirdman

I just last week used a product from POR-15 for sealing motorcycle gas tanks, it came as a kit with two metal preps and a sealer, it cost about $30 not sure how good it is because I just used it, but I like other stuff by that company

I don't know if that is the one I use, (I'll look on the shelf later) but the one I bought from HD was fantastic!

First you slosh the tank (after protecting the outside if a finished tank) with a rather caustic acid very similiar to muratic acid. Then wash out with water. Then fill and let sit for a day in a weak mix of the same acid. Wash good and dry.

Then a 2 part epoxy is poured in the tank and you just slowly roll the tank around until everything is coated and the epoxy starts to set, pour off any excess and you have a beautiful epoxy coated tank that has lasted (for me) well over 8 years so far with no change.

ed :banghead: