Sign in to follow this  
dave24

D series differences

dave24

i am wondering the differences between the d-series wheel horses. i know that the engines are different on them. but is there other differences? and is there much of a difference between the d-200 and d-250 besides sheetmetal?

Sparky

The D-250 is nothing like the D160, D-180, or the D-200. The D-250 is a unique tractor not built by Wheel Horse but rather Built FOR Wheel Horse by another company(German I think).

Mike......

jtmoyer

the 200 had a bigger gas tank, 3point and pto standard.

the 180 had a 3 point standard.

and the 160 only had options.

most of the 160's i have seen have an electric clutch.

4xfourfun

All the D160's with twin Onan engines I've seen had electric clutches and all the D160's with single cylinder Kohlers have had manual clutches. Rick was telling me that many D-160's with a Kohler didn't have factory headlights. I've seen turning brakes on some D-200's haven't seen any on the D-180's so I don't know if that was available or not. Some D's had larger 1" front axle spindles, to handle more weight light loaders and what not. The common size was 3/4".

As far as the D250's, I've only seen a couple and they were totally different. I've heard finding parts can be tricky....

slufoot733

The D-250 utilizes a four (4) cylinder Renault liquid cooled engine. It also has a five speed manual transmission coupled to a two speed transmission. In other words, five upper and five lower speeds forward, one upper and one lower speed backwards. I may be mistaken but I believe the D-250 is the largest tractor ever built by Wheel Horse.

wh79d160

The later model regular D's 78? & up (not 250) Had optional cooling fans under the seat for the hydro lines. These years also had white decals w/black & red stripes instead of the red decals as well as the headlamp surround decal is black on the later models as opposed to red also. In late 74 & early 75 the park brake was moved from being integrated w/the hydro lever to a seperate lever below the dash. Along w/this they started changing from internal brake pawls(which could break easily) to external drum & band on the exterior of the hydro motor. I do have a 74 big wheel that did not have headlights. :banghead: Terry will soon have the headlight surround decals avaliable.

kyhorse

Hey Wh78D160 you look to be the guy to ask about my D-160. You will find my posts elsewhere about wheels and tires but I think I have that "solved" :thumbs: Now it's brakes. I don't seem to have any! When you step on the pedal it looks like it tries to pull into neutral and for awhile I thought that was all it was supposed to do- I thought maybe "neutral" might lock the hydraulics and stop the tractor, but it doesn't. :thumbs: I have the single cylinder Kohler hyrdo with a FEL and 3 pt on the back, no PTOs (well, I didn't look under it because of the FEL framing). How do the brakes work? Which wheels? Where should I start looking? Unfortunately the tractor is about 200 miles from home so I only see it some weekeneds and I have to make progress on each trip. I can use as is- works fine on level ground but that's not it's intended purpose. It's going to be a working horse in a hilly area.

pfrederi

Older D model didn't have physical brakes. The pedal merely pushes the linkage to neutral and the hydro unit provides the braking. Parking brake was a pawl inside the transmission (highly susceptible to breakage)

Real men don't need no stinkin brakes!!!

kyhorse

:thumbs: Parking brake?????? Just when I finally get something right, I learn there is another WH secret to learn? How do I engage it? I may be chicken but I have a steep gully to run through on my way to the woods with my FEL on the front and disc on the back. I want control. Don't worry- I understand I can't use the parking brake while moving! I guess if I stay in a slow speed I can control my descent because the hydro just will not allow it to roll faster. Right? That would work better if I had three hands.

Good news is my new front tires were on the porch when I got home tonight.

:thumbs:

wh79d160

On the early 74's the park brake is pushing the hydro leaver down to the lower groove & pulling back. You'll see this by looking where you hydro lever goes thru the side of your dash panel. Late 74's they started putting the leaver seperate on the front lower part of the dash.These were the one that would brake the pawls off because you would engage it by pushing on the E-brake pedal while the tractor was moving. With that type, it had to be stopped engage brake, pull up on lever. brake locked. :thumbs:

pfrederi

I guess if I stay in a slow speed I can control my descent because the hydro just will not allow it to roll faster. Right? That would work better if I had three hands.

That is the theory...In reality as the hydros get older (read worn) and the oil gets thinner as it heats up the hydro braking is not as strong. You may notice you pick up speed going down hill. The converse is the weakness of the hydro drive meaning you slow down going up hill.

kyhorse

Hmm. That must be why the previous owner recommended not using the parking brake at all- which by the way, is on the side. Does that confirm that I have an early 74? So basically I need to pull the level into neutral instead of relying on the pedal in order to get all the brake I am going to have. The tractor pulls a steep hill pretty well. So far it's just on pavement but I think the hydro is pretty strong. Slow as Christmas, though.

The tires, by the way, look great. I ended up getting the Vred sawtooth as the best compromise for my situation. The rims have not yet arrived but once they do I will be ready to start clearing and discing as soon as the ground dries out. Lots of rain in Ky last month.

Thanks for all the help.