Sign in to follow this  
Retired Wrencher

Stains

Retired Wrencher

:D :D:ychain: I have a couple original steering wheels with some light stains on them and 1 with a little over spray paint Does anyone have any ideas how to get rid of this with out scratching the finish???? any info would be helpful T/You Gary B.........

rmaynard

Most over-spray can be removed with mineral spirits and elbow-grease without hurting the finish. Depending on what the other stains are, and what type of material the steering wheel is made of, will determine how to clean. Water-based stains can be removed with soap and water or alcohol. Oil-based stains can be removed with mineral spirits. Solvent based stains can be removed with acetone or lacquer thinner, BUT they will also eat plastic and other paint. So be careful in your choices and always start experimenting with the least harmful cleaners first.

As always, use proper hand and eye protection when cleaning with chemicals.

Bob

Giles

:D:D:ychain: I have a couple original steering wheels with some light stains on them and 1 with a little over spray paint Does anyone have any ideas how to get rid of this with out scratching the finish???? any info would be helpful T/You Gary B.........

I have detailed automibles for many years. I have used "Spray Nine" cleaner for about 25 years and it is the best cleaner I have ever used. It is especially used to clean ---and DISENFECT--vinyl. My wife uses it as the only cleaner in the home. I have used it to clean vinyl, carpet, cloth upholstry, and engines with no adverse effects, but compatability should be tested.

It is NOT used to clean Leather!! It will harden it!.

After cleaning vinyl, it will most likely look dull from cleaning and you should apply a vinyl protectant to make it look new.

I have NO connections with this company, I just want them to stay in business.

grnlark

Try a good wax and grease remover or pre-kleeno used before painting. You can get a small can at any auto body supply store or a good auto parts store. I use the RM-900 all the time and it works great.

Or even maybe Goo-Gone with some elbow grease.

Retired Wrencher

:D :D:ychain: Hi thanks every one the S/wheels looks like this even this one has a bit of white under neath just a little??? thanks again T/Care Gary B...............1075isDone010.jpg